We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic and parking on Tybee Island

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic and parking on Tybee Island

My wife and I are looking at retirement communities in NC, SC and Ga. One of the communities we liked a lot is The Landings on Skidaway Island, Savannah. We are beach people so we drove to Tybee last month to check it out and it took about 30 minutes. How bad is the traffic in the summer months (weekday vs. weekend) and how difficult is it to find a parking spot. We do not mind a 30 minute drive but not crazy about 45-60 minutes and having to drive around looking for parking.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic and parking on Tybee Island

You mean it took 30 plus minutes to drive from Skidway over to Tybee? I'm not sure what you mean. When you are on Tybee, the traffic depends on whether there is an event or maybe beach traffic. We haven't been there yet in the heat of Summer so I can't comment on that but we've been in Jan, March, April, May, Sept and October and traffic on Tybee was never an issue. Parking is usually plentiful then along Butler Ave and in the parking lots that are right next to the beach but you have to remember to have a lot of quarters to pay for meters. There is no free parking on Tybee except at the restaurants and you must be prepared to pay in advance at the meter things which spit out a ticket for your car. Hey, we are from Boston and parking is super cheap anywhere in Savannah compared to Boston so we don't care and we love the beach there. We are retiring to Wilmington Island in about 4-5 years ourselves!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic and parking on Tybee Island

I wouldn't think of Tybee as a place to retire. Try St Simons or Beaufort SC.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic and parking on Tybee Island

I am not looking to retire to Tybee. I am try to get an idea how bad the traffic is going to (route 80) Tybee during the summer months.

4. Re: Traffic and parking on Tybee Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations