We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

Nashville, TN
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

Hello all!

We are visiting Tybee Island for the first time in May with our 4 year old and the grandparents and would love suggestions/ideas of things to do, see and eat! :) This is our daughters first time to see a beach in her short 4 years, so we are looking forward to seeing how she likes it. Obviously, at this age, sand castles and waves are about all she needs, but us parents would like to find some family activities and some 'date night' activities since the grandparents will be there to babysit!

We are staying at a vacation rental right near the Tybee Beach Pier and Pavillion to give you a reference point. I have read about some dolphin excursion trips and thought she might like that but are they really worth it and especially this time of year? Boat rides in general-ideas?

Food and entertainment.

My whole family are big foodies and I do a ton of research on restaurants before I visit anywhere. We do NOT like the touristy places and do everything possible to avoid them. I seek 'local cuisine' and 'local hang outs' wherever we travel so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Obviously, we would need family-friendly for the most part but like I mentioned above, we will have a date night and would love to go somewhere truly oustanding. When I say 'entertainment', I do not mean bars with a bunch of drunk spring breakers-- I mean, casual atmosphere, great drinks and maybe even some live music (jazz, soft rock, etc). So, any suggestions (family-friendly, or date-night friendly) are much appreciated.

Misc.

If anyone has any other suggestions on anything (thing/places to avoid, must-do's. etc), please send them my way. Always looking for fun, unusual and local things to do! :)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

We were talking about Tybee just a few minutes ago over dinner as we head back in about 9 days and spend considerable time on Tybee. Your little one will love the Aquarium/museum right on the beach if its open. Very low key and meant for the younger ones. Not any music I don't think on Tybee for the grownups but go into the Historic District and go to Jazzd where there is usually music, Maybe grab a drink at the top of the Bohemian hotel (hope I have that right) where small live bands have played. Maybe some music at the City Market area either daytime, maybe evening?

Back to Tybee- its so small that the locals are right there with the touristas'. Just avoid the Crab Shack on the way over IMHO. Otherwise, you'll see both locals and visitors at the small number of places on Tybee, ALL of which I can't wait to get back to.

For dolphins, we never tried a tour but we did charter a Boston Whaler last year and got a guy to take us around the islands out side the HD and almost had to push the dolphins out of the way. So look for the tours as you cruise Rt 80 heading out to Tybee and you should find someone. Its not like whale watching as the dolphins are close to shore and pretty plentiful at least in the Spring. Walk the length of Tybee beach and end up eating at the North Beach Grille. Wicked awesome place and very family casual friendly. Rent bikes, if you can find one with a seat for your little one and bike all over the island. Back to night- really, just drive into the HD and start strolling. You'll be good to go!

Tybee Island...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

We took a dolphin tour a couple of years ago on Tybee and weren’t impressed but, I do know many people enjoy it. As for as suggestions for things to do and places to eat I recommend you check out this site http://tybeeislandgainfo.com/. There is very detail information about the island including a guide for things to do for all age groups, restaurant reviews and a restaurant guide for all the restaurants on the island plus a lot of other good information. Hope this helps.

Flossmoor, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

Can't speak for what to do with a 4 year old, but Huc-a-Poos had great pizza. For a date night, I heartily recommend B Matthews in Savannah. Wonderful food and relaxing, adult atmosphere.

tennessee
Level Contributor
146 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

Loved Aj's. Ate there twice at the end of April. Go early if you want to avoid the crowd. It was not tourist season when we were there.

5. Re: Visiting Tybee Island in May w/4 year old--need ideas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island
Recent Conversations