We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

We're visiting Boise this weekend to meet up with family, none of whom actually live in Boise. I've never been to Boise myself. It's my husband's 29th birthday this weekend, and we were planning to eat dinner someplace on Friday night to celebrate.

There will be eight adults. I myself have no kids, but there will be six kids in the group, ranging from infant to about nine years old. I want to find a place to eat that is kid friendly but that also has good food. My husband's idea of a great dinner is a well-cooked steak (not well done--just cooked right). We'll be staying at the Doubletree-Riverside at 2900 Chinden Boulevard.

Any suggestions of a decent restaurant that kids could eat at that might have good steak? Or any other restaurant suggestions? We'd probably be open to other food varieties, as long as it's not seafood (he hates fish!).

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
475 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

A nice place is TableRock Brewery (downtown, on Fulton Street). Good steaks and burgers, very good micro brews and reasonably priced.

If you like pizza, Flying Pie Pizzeria on Fairview is one of our favorite casual places - and is kid friendly to boot. It's on the divey/seedy end of the scale (don't expect a lot of decor); it's more funky than fashionable.

Enjoy Boise!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,341 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

I am a totally foody and love the flying pie. has a nice varity of beers on tap and the best pizza...enjoy

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

What's sad... Outback Steakhouse usually wins the "best steak" vote in the local paper. Lock Stock & Barrel is downtown, some love it, some don't, kind of expensive. When I was married, we kept going to chains (Texas Roadhouse gets decent reviews out at Fairview and Eagle, and the kids will probably like it there), but I've been trying to cut down/out steak since divorce.

Most of the other good restaurant options are more on the trendy side around here... not sure those are places to take the kids.

Therefore, you might just get me to try the steak at Table Rock! Just be warned that they claim their fish n' chips is their best seller... and for good reason.

Mentioned in this post
Outback Steakhouse
Outback Steakhouse
90 Reviews
Boise, ID
Lock Stock & Barrel
Lock Stock & Barrel
106 Reviews
Boise, ID
US
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

Lots of chains in the Boise area, and I don't view that as a good thing. Some are decent, though. One option may be Bardenay Distillery (downtown and in Eagle). It tends to have pretty good food, and you see kids there qutie a bit. They do have a steak or two on the menu, though I've never tried one. Cottonwood has good food and is pretty casual. Angels is okay, and they make a decent steak. Mortimers has the best food in town (imo), but it's expensive and not the kind of place for a kid or a large group.

If I had to pick one place for what you described I guess I'd say Cottonwood, though if you aren't opposed to the noisy annoying chains the Texas Roadhouse at Fairview and Eagle does have pretty darn good steak (but also lots of tasteless fizzy yellow beer at high prices).

Mentioned in this post
Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

Table Rock is a good suggestion, but I've always heard it gets more of a bar vibe in the evening and I'm not sure that's the best for kids, so it depends on what time you are going.

Though its a chain, I've been to Texas Roadhouse in three states now and am always fairly pleased with it. Plus, it would be a very kid friendly environment. (Though from your hotel that is a bit of a drive)

One fun place, especially for kids is the Kyoto Japanese Steak House at 6002 W Fairview Ave. The chefs cook at the table with all sorts of fun tricks, plus we thought the food was quite good, and it's definitely a lot closer to your hotel than Texas Roadhouse. And it is definitely kid friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto Japanese Steak House
Kyoto Japanese Steak...
65 Reviews
Boise, ID
Boise
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

I would go to Kyoto. They have steak, chicken, salmon (my favorite), shrimp and a full sushi bar. It is entertaining for the kids. But if you're going on Friday, either get reservations or get there before six because they're packed.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
7. Re: Where to have birthday dinner in Boise--8 adults, 6 kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:19