We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

Which Boise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

Driving from SLC airport to Boise on Memorial Day weekend. What can we expect weather-wise? It says it's a 5 hour trip, is that accurate? Anything we should stop and see along the way?

Thanks!

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

Five hours is about right on the freeway, but you're likely to encounter construction along the way so allow extra time. The fellows may not be working the weekend but the roads may still be one lane with reduced speed limits. (We have a joke in the West, there are two seasons, winter and road construction!) The weather should be fine. Snow is rare that time of year and if it does happen to snow, it won't stick on the road.

If you have history buffs in your party you could stop and see the Golden Spike monument outside of Brigham City, Utah, the place where the first transcontinental railroad was completed. During the summer they have the steam engines running. Website is: http://www.nps.gov/gosp/index.htm

Another historical site to see is the Three Island Crossing Oregon trail site in Glenns Ferry, Idaho, There's a nice Oregon Trail interpretive center there. Website: visitidaho.org/attraction/…

If you'd like to stop in my home town of Twin Falls, Shoshone Falls should be running at its highest. The park and the road into the canyon will likely be packed, however. For that particular weekend, a better suggestion would be to pull into Twin Falls for lunch (try the River Rock Grill next to the mall) and walk along the canyon rim under the Perrine Bridge. If you're lucky you'll see BASE jumpers!

Have a great trip,

Pug

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

i would say, drive straight thru and enjoy more time in boise. it is a great , little city...what are you going to do in boise?? just curious.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

Thank you both very much!

Thankfully no real snow to be concerned about - especially since we do not normally drive in wintery conditions. I appreciate the stopping point options on our drive and I'll let the others know.

We are going to Boise for a wedding. :)

We arrive in SLC Thurs late evening, drive Friday, wedding Sat, and Sun in Boise & Mon afternoon drive back for red eye flight back Monday night.

Thanks again!

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

wow, a wedding and you are driving from SLC..wondering why you didn't fly into boise?? there is much to do in boise. where is the wedding?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

It's my daughter and bf going to Boise for a college friend's wedding. Flying from NYC. They thought to fly and drive (I wouldn't have) to see a bit of area landscape. Because of a new job, bf (who graduates from law scholl this month) can't take off but a day of work. So flying late Thursday and taking red-eye back on Monday night arriving in NYC in time to get dressed for work. eek.

They will have Friday afternoon, Sunday and Monday till after lunch in Boise.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 02:28
Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

jkloni, you will have to come back to Idaho when things aren't so rushed for you and drive the other way, up through the Sun Valley area and through Stanley. It's the most beautiful part of Idaho. (And yes, everybody, I've been all over Idaho!)

Idaho
Level Contributor
482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

Shoshone Falls, definitely worth a visit. It's been called the "Niagara of the West".

visitidaho.org/attraction/…

Enjoy your family time!

Cheers,

Diane

Visit Idaho

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

I don't dispute that Shoshone Falls is beautiful at this time of year, and would never discourage people from going to see it, but someone with limited time might not care to drive the several miles off the freeway just to find cars backed up all the way to Falls Avenue, as often happens on holiday weekends. If somebody had their heart set on seeing the falls I would suggest getting there as early as possible. Jkloni, if it's a must-see for you and your group, if you can get there before noon you would probably be all right. It's a 3.5 hour drive from Salt Lake to Twin Falls. Admission is $3.00.

Have a great trip whatever you decide,

Pug

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

Except for the couple of very quick diversions previously mentioned, the drive between SLC and Boise is mostly long and boring and consists of a lot of non-picturesque dessert views. If you take the Sun Valley route out of Twin Falls, you will be adding about 4 hours to your drive to get to Boise. About an hour outside of Boise, if you are ready for lunch, I would suggest the winery in Glenn's Ferry.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Boise Memorial Day weekend

jerry,

welcome to the forums and to your new posts for idaho!!