We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

Which Coeur d'Alene hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Coast US
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

We will be traveling on I-90 from MT-OR and want to spend a night in either CDA or Spokane. Won't arrive until late afternoon and will get an early start, but would like to have a few hours of fun with kids 6 &9. Any suggestions welcome. Thx

Morro Bay, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

I've been to Spokane 2x and Coeur d' Alene once. I plan on going up to that area for a wedding for 4 nights in Spokane. I am going to do 2 nights in Coeur 'd Alene because I loved it. It's a smaller town atmosphere than sprawling Spokane. You can probably get a cheaper place in Spokane, but CDA is something special in my book.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
58 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

Since I am partial to Coeur d'Alene since I live here I would say Coeur d'Alene and I would choose one of the smaller properties downtown like the Resort City Inn http://www.resortcityinn.com/. It is reasonably priced and has remodeled rooms. No pool, but who needs one when you have the Lake :)

It puts you right downtown where you can go to the lake, walk Tubbs Hill, or do the Mudgy & Millie trail depending on the ages of your children.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

With respect to the other posters I disagree on staying in Couer d'Alene Spokane has a lot more to do for kids namely River Front Park. It has the largest red wagon in the world used as a slide for the kids, a carousel, a free little train to ride around the park, a sky ride and lots more for kids. You won't have time but we also have a big cats zoological park and much much more.

WWW.spokaneriverfrontpark.com

www.visitspokane.com

Collie

Edited: 01 July 2011, 01:09
Idaho
Level Contributor
482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

You will love Coeur d'Alene, it is definately a city you have to visit at least once. It is absolutely beautiful.

There a endless activities you can do with your kids. You must take them to Silverwood Theme Park and Boulder Beach Waterpark http://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/. Located only 17.75 miles North of Coeur d'Alene Via US-95 N (23 mins)

Another option would be Triple Play Family Fun Park http://www.3play.com/triple-play in Hayden.

1-208-762-PLAY (7529) or 1-877-770-PLAY (7529)

7.08 miles North of Coeur d'Alene Via US-95 N (13 mins)

Then you could stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites

1-208-772-7900

While in Coeur d'Alene you might enjoy a stroll on the world’s longest floating boardwalk at The Coeur d’Alene Resort.

City Park and Independence Point are located west of downtown Coeur d'Alene on the waterfront. Offering a multitude of things to do for families and groups including Sunday concerts in summer, family and group picnic facilities, swim beach, volleyball, basketball courts, tour boats, seaplane rides and other aquatic equipment.

A great family activity where you discover the story of Millie the Mouse who plays hide and seek with Mudgy the Moose. The 2-1/4 mile Mudgy Moose Trail along Lake Coeur d'Alene and through Downtown Coeur d'Alene http://www.mudgyandmillie.com/

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

The problem with staying in Couer d'Alene is the time element for them where as Riverfront park offers so much to do with out going anywhere else and kids love the park so do adults for that matter. It's where the 1974 worlds fair was and such a success.

Collie

Edited: 01 July 2011, 21:24
Morro Bay, CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

I didn't notice the kid part. Seeing that huge wagon as a kid is pretty much all I would need. Collie might be right.

Idaho
Level Contributor
482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

Here is a good Coeur d'Alene traveler article via TripAdvisor

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g35418-s401/Coeur-Dal…

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

idahotourism I'm glad you are so gungho on promoting Idaho and now on Couer d'Alene but if you read the OP's post they only have a late afternoon to enjoy where ever and are leaving the next day so they need help for just that.

Collie

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

both have advantages, but for a change I agree with Collie Girl as Riverfront park has rides and attractions, the falls and river all in easy walking distance from many lodgin options and food options that include kids menus

10. Re: Coeur d'Alene vs Spokane for one night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:17