We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

Myself and my husband will be in Montana in June, we would like to do the Hiwathat Bike Trail,but am not sure whether we can access the bike trail from Montana or Idaho. can anyone give me advice on where is best to stay near the start of the bike trail, how long it takes to ride the trail, do we need to reserve bikes in advance and any other relevent information. Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Idaho
Idaho
United States
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

Did you post this on the Montana forum someone there my be able to help or check these web-sites out...

www.coeurdalene.org

www.visitidaho.org

1-800-847-4843

There is also the centennial trail which is a great biking trail going from Spokane into Idaho it's very scenic and has a lot of history around it.

www.spokanecentennialtrail.org

Collie

Edited: 19 February 2012, 02:49
Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Idaho
Idaho
United States
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,216 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

Try this link, too.

…friendsofcdatrails.org/Hiawatha/index.html

Pam

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

You'll want to go to Look Out Ski resort which is at the top of Look out pass to purchase your pass for the National Forest and if you want to take the bus back up the hill. You can also rent bikes and gear (you must have head lamps and I would reccomend extra flashlights). They'll give you directions to the trail head which is a couple miles to the east.

A great ride for all ages, not to mention beautiful. Don't forget your camera!

Mentioned in this post
Coeur d'Alene National Forest
Coeur d'Alene National...
7 Reviews
Coeur d'Alene, ID
weston, vt
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

Is the Hiawatha Trail paved?

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

It is not a paved trail, but a combination of areas of packed-down dirt and/or gravel. Very smooth ride and GORGEOUS views!!

weston, vt
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

Thanks for your reply. I have a road bike skinny tires but maybe I'll try to find a hybrid or mtn bike rental for a day.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

The Lookout Pass lodge there will rent you mtn/hybrid style bikes along with the required helmet/lights and the trail passes. Be sure to check the batteries, those tunnels are super dark!

8. Re: Hiawatha Bike Trail/Montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 10:37