We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

Which Idaho Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

I want to drive to Phoenix in late August. I will be travelling alone and I can do a 10 hour drive if there is nothing particular to stop and see, but I also want to see interesting locations and am willing to spend up to a week to go one way. What two routes would you suggest?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

i suggest coming all the way down 93, thru sand point, coeur d'a lene, lewiston,

then down thru mcall on 55 to banks, over the payette river, (watch the kayakers, visit the hotsprings, many) over to stanley in the sawtooth valley. the mountains there are incredible. a stop over night would be good in stanley or redfish lake (google it)...the scenery is some of idahos best. in stanley, there are great restaurants, as well ( important to me!!), the stanley bakery for the BEST lunch and breakfast (home baked goods) and the sawtooth hotel for wonderful dinner, with a view to kill!!!

down 93 thru ketchum, sun valley area, very historical and one of the greatest ski resorts (and the oldest) in the country. we have great photo ops here, great bike trail (straight for 36 miles, used to be the railroad), so much history. in august there will be many outdoor concerts, most free, and lots to do in this area. down 93 to phoenix...

oh, you will have a great time.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

Whenever I drive to Phoenix I go over to 15 and all the way down through Salt Lake City and onto Phoenix it's the easiest route to take and some awesome stuff to see along the way. You might want to check with AAA to make sure that there are no problems on any of the routes you might consider.

Collie

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

I think Charley48 means come down 95 (not 93) thru Sandpoint, Coeur dAlene and Lewiston to where 55 branches off to McCall. (You would then follow the directions from Banks to Ketchum, and points South)

Pam

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

opps, that is what i meant. going thru mccall...stanley and sun valley. doesn't get much better than that.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

Yes, I agree! That route really gets you a great look at Idaho!

Pam

Cottonwood Idaho
Level Contributor
21 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

Other commenters are correct that Hwy 95 through Idaho & then onto 55 through McCall is THE way to go. Definitely plan time to explore downtown Sandpoint & Coeur d'Alene. Perhaps overnighting in Moscow, a university town w/interesing downtown restaurants, museums, etc. Beyond Lewiston by about 10 miles a must stop is the Nez Perce Natl Historical Park & Visitors Center (free, gorgeous & informative). Winchester Lake State Park just off Hwy 95 at the little burg of Winchester is peaceful, lovely & scenic for a picnic or walkabout. Then on another 26 miles to the next stop to see Idaho's famous big dog - the World's Biggest Beagle, which is also a b&b inn at Cottonwood. If you arrive to the area on a Tuesday, the place for an evening meal is the Keuterville Pub&Grub for their famous Taco Tuesdays - an adventure not to be forgotten.

Then, on to Grangeville, White Bird (stop at the top of the grade for spectacular view into Salmon River Canyon) and Riggins, which would be a great stop for another overnight at the Best Western Salmon Rapids Lodge. Stop at the lodge regardless for THE best view of the Salmon River canyon at the confluence of the main & little Salmon Rivers - browsers are most welcome there. Great restaurant in Riggins is the River Rock Cafe.

Then, on to New Meadows where you pick up Hwy 55 to McCall. Great place for stopover & stay is the Shore Lodge - a renovated historic lodge on the banks of Payetter Lake. Dining there w/lake view is spectacular; staying in a lakeside room makes one never want to leave. Looks expensive, but is not for food or sleep.

Beyond that follow suggestions others have given. Don't miss Boise, particularly downtown; it's a totally walkable safe interesting metro.

Good travels through Idaho.

Red deer
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

I want to drive a1970 cuda from Phoenix to Calgary in late September as quickly possible , please advise

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

See the #2 reply from Collie for quick.

Pam

9. Re: return trip drive from Calgary to Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 01:15