We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ca to Yellowstone

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Ca to Yellowstone

Helping my niece plan her portion of the trip from CA to YNP. She is looking at seeing Twin Falls, then on to Idaho Falls for the night (July 29) before meeting us in the park the next day. It will be too late to go on in to the park. So, anything she needs to see in Idaho on the way to Idaho Falls? And any recommendations on lodging once there? Was considering camping, but looks like that is out. Doesn't need frills, just clean and affordable- mom & pop or cabin places are fine. Also, may need a recommendation for dinner, depending on arrival time.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

don't know where they are staying- recommendations gladly accepted!

Fruitland
Level Contributor
60 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

Guesthouse Inn on the greenbelt is nice and moderately priced. For a little more they can stay in the Red Lion tower. It is only about $119.00 and the rooms are huge and spotlessly clean. I always stay there when I am in Idaho Falls. A good moderately priced place to eat is the pancake house near the Red Lion. I think it is called Smitty's. For breakfast, the locals eat at the North Highway Cafe. Idaho Falls has the usual assortment of chain hotels such as Motel 6 if they just want cheap.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
60 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

Someone suggested Craters of the Moon National Monument and that's worth a few hours if it's on your way...

…blogspot.com/2011/05/craters-of-moon-nation…

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

ketchum/ sun valley would be a good "out of the way" experience!

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

Do not stay at the red lion! Its no longer the red lion anyways its now called the wes bank. There are many newer hotels in the town. The best western driftwood is newly updated and right next to the river. If they want something affordable staying away from the river will save some money

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

There is a small but nice campground with "cabins" though you need to provide your own bedding-Snake River RV & Campground. It is just off the freeway and near the Greenbelt, which is a very nice place to walk or run. Contrary to charly48, I have found several good family run & even healthy options here (we stay away from chain places, though IF is being over-run with them) For places to eat near downtown close to the camping place & close to freeway access, I recommend The Snake Bite Restaurant-they have a killer Vegan Burger as well as other healthy sandwiches & salads. All fresh & homemade.

Oh, and I also would highly recommend them driving the Mesa Falls Byway scenic drive on the way up to YNP. Not hardly out of the way at all, and very beautiful!

Per charly48's comment on Victor's market, Victor is no where near on the way to YNP, unless they are going to YNP through Jackson, and not the West Entrance at West Yellowstone.

I don't want to write too much, but would be happy to give more info if needed. I live here & would be happy to help, just let me know!

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

diver mom,

thanks for the nice note and the great thoughts on my suggestions. REMEMBER, we are all here to give OUR suggestions. thanks for the kindness for my thoughts

...BUT there isn't any mention of which way the bergs, are entering the park...THUS, victor market...

I still have to find somewhere good to eat in IF..but wiil try the snake bite.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

My niece will be entering from West, not sure how they are going home from Lander, so all info may be of use! She is a very healthy eater- no fast food type options would appeal to her. Thanks to all, I will pass it on and let you know if she finds anything she likes, lol.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

so if they are going to make a circle, in the west and out the south west...they would love the victor market. if in jackson hole, find the whole grocers store, and in that mall, (small) is Kims Korean food..it is just a walk up , like food cart..fabulous. my holistic doctor, nutritionalist chef, all go there. they have "kim pops", which are purple rice with food inside, like korean bbq, tuna, or vege $3.75!! and she has lots of other options. we are going over and CAN:T wait to eat there!! good option...so they will have lots of good eats.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ca to Yellowstone

Good luck with all the planning, if you/she would like any additional suggestions for Idaho Falls, just ask! I'm sure you'll all enjoy the trip no matter what-it's a great place to visit!