We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route in November I-15 or I-191

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best route in November I-15 or I-191

Which way is best in November, I-15 from Idaho Falls to Butte or I-191 Idaho Falls to Bozeman, pulling a 5th wheel.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,120 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

Where are you actually headed after you reach either Butte or Bozeman?

The Interstate is I15, the other route is a 2-lane US20 to West Yellowstone then 2-lane US191 on up to Bozeman. That is a truck route, so has a fair amount of traffic on it. The state road crews would work on clearing it if there were snowfall.

It also is going to depend on weather at the time. Whichever route you decide on (or a variation thereof, lol) you must check weather and road conditions before you set out in the morning.

Pam

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

We are heading to Tioga,N.Dakota. When we came from there we hit elevations of 6-7000 ft and know we can't do that again. Kim

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,120 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

Just north of Idaho Falls on I15 you cross Monida Pass on the Montana Idaho line. According to Wiki it is 6870' but it really doesn't seem that *pass-like* to me. That is kind of a dumb statement, but you are pretty high already and it feels like a flattish pass if that makes any sense at all.

If you go I15 up to Butte, when you turn East on I90, you have to cross Homestake Pass which is 6,329'. It is a truck route, so plenty of semis are crossing as well. This feels like a pass! lol

Going up thru West Yellowstone, you cross over Targhee Pass, again at the Montana Idaho line, but it is not really pass-like either. The town of West Yellowstone is at 6667' but you just feel a steady climb from Idaho Falls (4700') to West Yellowstone. Much of the road north of there to Bozeman is thru the Gallatin River Canyon. Bozeman is at 4820'.

East of Bozeman, you get across Bozeman Pass which is 5819'.

I do not drive an RV or pull a 5th wheel. Here is a link with some road info for RVers which does discuss the West Yellowstone to Bozeman route.

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

Pam

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

Thanks Pam

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

good luck, kim and be safe. weather is going to turn...darn, been soooo nice here.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,120 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

Charley, yep, we've been kind of lulled into enjoying lovely Fall weather too. We've had a few flakes of snow but it was 70 yesterday for heaven's sake! Not good for the snow tires to be that warm.

Pam

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

AH, i hate to see it go, but we are a high of 23 on sat or sun..eeekkkk, we have been enjoying the weather AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE...

hopefully, the OP has great driving weather.

8. Re: Best route in November I-15 or I-191

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2016, 03:15