We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hells Canyon

Chicago Ridge...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hells Canyon

I am traveling from salt lake city to Lewiston in the beginning of May. How long will it take to drive? Will the boat trips on Hells Canyon be running, never been to this area before. Was just going to go to Yellowstone for a week and happened to read about Hells Canyon being a beautiful area to see. Any advice on what I should see while I'm there. Thanks for any info!!!

Ahsahka, Idaho
Level Contributor
252 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hells Canyon

It is about a 9 hour drive fron SLC to Lewiston. The jet boat trips run year round out ot Lewiston into the canyon. May is a great time to see the canyon as it is still spring, late spring, but not baking hot yet. You can also drive to Pittsburg Landing, about 3 hours from Lewiston on good roads, and do a jet boat trip from there. Pittsburg is actually in the canyon, Lewiston is some 30 miles downstream from Hells Canyon proper. If you would like to stay in the canyon, there is a lodge you can stay in, access by boat or horse only! How long are you in the area, and what are your interests? Camping, bed and breakfast, motel, back country cabins? ATV rides, hikes, rafting? The highway 12 corridor, Lewiston to Missoula, offers some of Idaho's finest rivers, mountains, wildlife, fishing, hiking, back country drives. Let me know what you'd like to do and I'll point you in the right direction. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you'd like.

Chicago Ridge...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hells Canyon

Thank you so much for the info!!! We only have 2 days to spend in Idaho. I really wanted to see Hells Canyon, but I have called some Jet Boat places and they dont run unless they have 6 people. I found one place that had 2, so I put our name on the list, if 2 more sign up then we will go. I have less than a week before we get there. Is there a scenic drive we can go on??? I really appreciate any info....I guess we will have to come back again when we have more time. We like to travel before the mad rush... Usually May & October. Thanks alot!!

Ahsahka, Idaho
Level Contributor
252 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hells Canyon

No lack of great drives in the area. You are coming from SLC? and Lewiston is your destination, then back to SLC? Tell me where you are coming from and where you are going, what you are driving, Are you staying in Lewiston? want some nice reccomendations on local Bed & Breakfasts, motels, etc? Pavement or dirt drives? How long of drives do you want? I'll get right back to ya,

Chicago Ridge...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hells Canyon

We are landing in SLC at 2:00pm on Sat, we dont know where to stay, we want to drive as close as possible to Lewiston. One of the tours called me and we can go on Sunday. We need to be there by 9:00 in there office. Is there a time difference from SLC to Lewiston?? Can we drive most of the way, I'm not sure about mountain driving in the dark..Then where can we stay??? Thank you for your help....

Ahsahka, Idaho
Level Contributor
252 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hells Canyon

Lewiston is Pacific time zone, SLC is mountain? 1 hour difference. My son worked in SLC for a while, he used to come home after work on Fridays. It's a long drive, but doable. Who is the boat trip with? I will suggest a few places to stay close by their location so you can sleep in as long as possible!! Figure 10 hours to drive it, can be done in 8, but we know the route. I would take interstate 84 across Idaho to New Plymouth/ highway 95 north, then 95 all the way to Lewiston. This would be the easiest, least mountainous/curvy route. You might as well drive all the way if you have to be at Beamers or? at 9am on Sunday. Would think that would be better than driving at 5 or 6 am to get there on time. I'll send you some lodging suggestions when I find out where you meet your boat at.

Lewiston, Idaho
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hells Canyon

There are a few companies that take jet boat trips up there, Snake River Adventures has a "Boogie Boat" that recently was featured on The Travel Channel that takes day trips deep into Hells Canyon. I myself own a hot air balloon company in the valley and there is also a helicopter ride Kiwi Air that is available out of Clarkston, WA, just right across the river.

There are a few wineries around as well, Basalt Cellars, Merry Cellars, and Clearwater Canyon. All have tasting rooms and I believe will show you around the winery if its not too busy.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hells Canyon

The drive through Hells Canyon is incredibly scenic. So is the drive through Rattlesnake Canyon to go from Enterprise, OR to Lewiston - that drive is just amazing!

8. Re: Hells Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Lewiston