We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from yellowstone to Lewistone

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Best route from yellowstone to Lewistone

Whats the best route from Yellowstone to lewiston. I will be laeving through the west entrance of yellowstone stopping at a couple ghost towns befor heading to lewiston. Where would be a good place to camp with travel trailer?

1 reply
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,072 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from yellowstone to Lewistone

If you have the time US 12 over Lolo pass is just beautiful! It is pretty slow compared to I90 as it is 2 lane and speed limit is 50mph most of the way from the Montana line down to near Kooskia. The only other way would be I90 and drop down to Lewiston either on 95 or a more back road way by leaving I90 at Hwy 3, follow 3 down to where it intersects with 12 and on in to Lewiston.

Now, looking at the section in between Yellowstone and the Idaho line. Where are you going to end up with the ghost towns? Dillon? If so, you can go over to the Bitterroot Valley via Big Hole Battlefield then up the Valley to Lolo, then West over Lolo Pass and on down in to Lewiston.

Here is a link to camping areas on Hwy 12.

fs.fed.us/r1/…hwy12_corridor.pdf

Pam

Reply to: Best route from yellowstone to Lewistone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lewiston
More Lewiston Topics