We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Any locations to recommend for wildlife viewing near Stanley in the summer time? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Heading out in a few days. Anyone have any suggestions??

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Anywhere in the Stanley area is going to be fantastic. I would recommend heading to Redfish lake and taking the ferry across the lake to the primitive side. From there you can take any number of trails into the backwoods where wildlife is more abundant....and if you don't see any, you'll be in the heart of some of the most majestic landscape in the US. I also enjoyed a hike off of the Iron Creek trailhead. There were some great meadows, streams, etc. where wild-life viewing is optimal.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Never seen wildlife across the lake...

but , if you want to see antelope, always on the road, east side, between Alturus Lake and Stanley..in the flats. You can catch Sand Crane birds..blue ones, at most of the creek crossings, like at Petit Lake..go out at dusk and go by a river or creek...a quiet one.

I still, 37 years later, love seeing any animals..even the antelopes!!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Hi

I still like Stanely lake. lots of hikeing trails there too

If have car or coming up via 21 from Boise check out Grandjean it is on the Lowman side just before you start up the pass to get to Stanley back down a dirt road about 10 or 12 miles I think.. An old rustic resort

very basic if still open. I remember fantastic views sitting on porch watching Elk across the valley on mountain meadow. as you drive back to it you are beside the south fork of the Payette and there are small hotsprings all along the river some just perfect for a couple. the last time I was there was in 2011 and they were open and had horse rentals also.

one of my favorite spots in the sawtooths.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

We ended up going out to Bruce Meadow one evening, at the suggestion of the guys at White Otter Rafting, and spotted a bunch of elk and sandhill cranes. This location was about 20 miles east of Stanley on Route 21, then about 9 miles down an unpaved forest road. We also saw several elk and deer along the Route 21 on the way back to Stanley.

We drove about 30 miles north on Route 75 one evening, to the East Fork of the Salmon River. We saw deer and proghorn antelope along the way.

We also saw squirrels, chipmunks, pika, a snake, and tons of birds, including cranes, bald eagles, and ospreys, along our travels.

It seemed that animals in this area are very spooked by people, unlike in those areas in or around heavily visited national parks. We saw tons of animal tracks and scat along all of our hikes, but were unable to spot any wildlife on the trail. I'm convinced that there were plenty of animal out there, but once these animals see, hear or smell humans they move very far away.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

and weren't the folks at white otter the best?? good friends of mine and they have run a good service for years..customers first..

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

Yep. They were awesome. My wife and I went for a morning rafting trip in the pouring rain and had a blast! Just the two of us and our guide on the river. Not another person out there.

9. Re: Good location for dawn/dusk wildlife viewing near Stanley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2016, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Stanley
Recent Conversations