We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family summer vacation....what to do?

Which Sun Valley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family summer vacation....what to do?

Hi,

We'll be in Sun Valley for a weekend wedding in July and are going to extend our trip to at least one week. It's a multi-generational trip which will include active grandparents and two young boys (3 and 6). I'm looking for two bits of advice: 1) Should we stay in Sun Valley the whole week (we'll probably fly in/out of Boise) and if not, where would you recommend we go for 3-4 days relatively nearby (ie not more than 5 hours away)? 2) What kind of family activities can you recommend in the area?

I've never been to Idaho so much appreciate the advice!

Thanks!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

fly into boise and drive highway 21 to stanley...i would stay there a couple of nights and maybe go for a raft trip. white otter is a great company and takes lots of trips with small ones. they donate to the schools, wonderful owners. then you could visit some of the hot springs and just see the sights. with small one, you could go to redfish lake for the day..google redfish and stanley idaho. you could rent a cabin at redfish, make a reso soon. then travel down to ketchum. i would spend the rest of the time there. there are many things to do here. we have the longest and straightest bike bath, (used to be the RR), rent bikes, fish, more hot springs, ice skating, skate board parks, bug hikes...so much more.

if you need any more info, just ask. are you renting a house?

Idaho
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

When you travel from Boise to Stanely via 21, include a stop at the Hot Springs Retreat in Idaho City

http://www.thespringsid.com/ The family will love it!

Diane

Visit Idaho

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

diane,

what is the hot spring retreat?? have you been there??

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

I've been to the place that is now the Hot Springs Retreat at Idaho City, though it was years ago. Back then it was a standard swimming pool. It was closed for many years, and now is open again. They have a very pretty brochure on their website. I rather mourn the gentrification of Idaho City... used to party there when the Miners Exchange was still a saloon, and we danced in the street with the loggers because there was no room inside! Alas, progress advances everywhere, even Twin Falls. :)

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

wow, never knew that existed.

we used to party at the stanley stomp..anyone remember that?

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Twin Falls
Level Contributor
784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

Yes, yes... didn't it make the cover of National Geographic??

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

now , that i don't know. national geo??stanley stomp?? i just remember riding on the hood of a car/truck, going to the next bar..so not like me!! but i do remember that..humm, where did we sleep that night??

New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

Thanks so much! I will check out your suggestions! And yes, we have a house rented for the last few days of our stay near Sun Valley, nothing yet for the beginning part. I may have a few more questions once I check these out! Really appreciate your help!

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,569 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

where is the house...near sun valley...where??

New Orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family summer vacation....what to do?

The house isin Elkhorn. I looked into redfish lake cabins (which looked great!) and staying in Stanley,, but apparently the weekend were looking at is a craft festival so everything os already booked. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

Get answers to your questions about Sun Valley
More Sun Valley Topics