We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV vs Car + Hotels?

Glasgow, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
RV vs Car + Hotels?

Hi,

My partner and I are looking to travel around Newfoundland (and possibly up to Labrador) next June (2014) and are trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of hiring an RV for the 4 weeks or go with a car and a mixture of hotels and B&B's etc. A major factor is of course cost but we're finding it hard to get definitive info on prices. So for example if room prices are per person or per room. If the RV sites are necessary vs parking up anywhere for security and electric as parking up in a site adds to the cost. Has anyone done anything similar or have any advice?

Many thanks in advance!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,490 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

This is a discussion on the Canadian Rockies and BC forums a lot, so I thought I'd jump in.

In general, you do your trip in an RV for the experience - camping, meeting people at campgrounds, staying in the wilderness - not to save money. There are some differences between NFLD and the mountains of the west, but in general, when you add up RV rental costs + higher daily fuel costs + campground costs, you aren't saving much money, and there is some inconvenience to it as well, particularly in the towns.

Renting an RV is a popular way to travel, and it can be a wonderful experience, so I'm not suggesting you discount it all together, but its not really much of a cost saving in the end.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

In Canada, hotel prices are typically per room (usually double occupancy, that is, two people), before taxes.

I would check whether you would even be permitted to take a rented RV to Labrador - and find out what the ferry cost would be. Regarding costs, out here in the west, a rental car/staying in hotel & eating in restaurants holiday is about the same cost as an RV rental & cooking your own meals holiday. You cannot usually just park anywhere, especially in parks, and by the time you factor in the cost of the RV rental, the additional fuel it will need compared to a car, and campsite fees (serviced sites are normally $30+ per night), you've probably spent about the same amount, although you'll have a completely different experience. So that's basically what you need to figure out... which type of holiday would you prefer?

On edit: waving to V67! ... Fancy meeting you here!

Edited: 19 December 2013, 00:04
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,490 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

[snap! ;) ]

Gander NL
Level Contributor
971 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

Yes, the cost factor if an RV may not save money when you consider the distances to travel in NL too. The drive up a penninula is one lovely road up and mostly the exact same lovely road back. I do guarantee you'll notice something different each direction, though. Most hotels and B and Bs are based on double occupancies as indicated above. Taking and Rv to any of the islands like Bell Island, Fogo Island, etc is more money on each ferry as you're charged by the length. Many do actually gravel pit camp in NL, meaning pulling off in camping spots that are not parks and have no services. It would be a great way to meet people but we're pretty easy to meet other ways too. We travel St. Anthony to St. John's this summer and are centrally located if there are any questions I can answer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

Last time I checked in to renting an RV (in ONtario, not NL) and factored in the rental charges, mileage charges, fuel, insurance, charges for parking each night ($30 will NOT cover it, it will be more in most places if there are any services at all) the RV was just as expensive as hotels or B&Bs. Personally I prefer a B&B to anything.

FYI - as an example unserviced sites in Gros Morne (they are all unserviced, no hydro or water connections) are currently $25.50 per night.

Best of luck with your planning.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

A lot of excellent points above. We weighed the pros and cons of this when we traveled to Alaska and then again when we traveled to Newfoundland.

We decided after a lot of mathematical calculations, that it was financially more reasonable to rent a car locally (in our area) and drive, take the ferry and stay in B&B's while in Newfoundland. One thing we found in Newfoundland is there are a LOT of tiny dirt roads that take you to very special places along the coast line. If we had an RV we would not have been able to experience these beautiful little coves unless we had towed a car on the RV of course. Newfoundland is filled with these little coves and unless you tow a car on your RV's , or bring bicycles, you will miss out on a lot of special places.

Best of luck and have fun planning!

Edited: 21 December 2013, 00:49
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

If you are looking to travel around Newfoundland I’d consider going with car and a mixture of hotels and B&B's etc. But you should plan your trip beforehand! First, make a car route, then find online hotels that appeal you and book the rooms beforehand paying attention on prices that you are able to pay. You need to verify what will be better for you and don’t stay in the hotels that you find while you are driving, you need to know where is you hotel, how to get there and everything else to calculate the money you’ll spend. This way you’ll avoid many problems and save money if you have planned everything when you are staying at home when you have time to think everything over and not when you are traveling.

8. Re: RV vs Car + Hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland