We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

Dear All,

I have been trying to plan for a driving trip to Newfoundland from Toronto (23 days). I totally understand this is a lot of driving. In 2012, I did Toronto to Key West, FL in 25 days.

Here's what I have planned. Your inputs/suggestions will be appreciated.

1 June 13, Friday Overnight driving from Toronto

2 June 14, Saturday Camping in Funday National Park

3 June 15, Sunday Camping in Fundy National Park

4 June 16, Monday Take overnight ferry to Newfoundland

5 June 17, Tuesday Twillingate

6 June 18, Wed Twillingate

7 June 19, Thursday St. John's

8 June 20, Friday St. John's

9 June 21, Saturday St. John's

10 June 22, Sunday Camping in Terra Nova

11 June 23, Monday Camping in Terra Nova

12 June 24, Tuesday Trinity

13 June 25, Wed Trinity

14 June 26, Thursday Camping in Gros Morne

15 June 27, Friday Camping in Gros Morne

16 June 28, Saturday Camping in Gros Morne

17 June 29, Sunday Ingonish, NS

18 June 30, Monday Camping in Cheticamp, NS

19 July 1, Tuesday Camping in Cheticamp, NS

20 July 2, Wednesday PEI

21 July 3, Thursday PEI

22 July 4, Friday PEI

23 July 5, Saturday Stay in Quebec City

24 July 6, Sunday Arrive in Toronto

The Cities noted above indicate where I will be staying overnight. My main purpose when I started planning was actually Newfoundland. However, it now appears only 2/3 is Newfoundland. Should I be spending more time there since I've driven all the way there.

I'm using Fundy National Park as the first pit stop for 2 nights after the long drive and before another long drive and ferry to Newfoundland. I also want my parents to see Cape Breton as well as PEI. However, I may have to cut one of them if you think I should be spending more time in Newfoundland. Any other main spots that's "not to be missed" in Newfoundland?

Much appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,799 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

Just a quick question about July 4-5. Are you planning on leaving C'town or Summerside and driving 9 hours, any stops extra (900+ km) to Québec City in one day? That could work into a 12-13 hour journey day.

And again, on June 28-29, you seem to want to travel in one day from Gros Morne Park, NL to Ingonish NS which is a full 12 hours, with any adjustments for the ferry being delayed or pushing through stormy seas of some kind.

I know you have an impossible amount of driving here and wonder if you parents would be able to tolerate all of it.

Here is a map of your itinerary, giving the distances and driving times in the left side: http://goo.gl/maps/QLKla

You then have to add the ferry sailing time and the waits for the ferries.

From Toronto to North Sidney to take the ferry across to PauxB will by my maths take maybe 20 hours to drive, all stops extra. If you drove hard you might do that in 2.5 days. If you drove more comfortably, about 5 hours a day, adding in any sightseeing, you might do that in 4 days. It depends on how long you want to spend behind the wheel, what you want to see on your vacation along the way.

I think something workable might be as follows. It's just one idea, there are other possibilities depending on your priorities about Cape Breton Island:

4 days to get to North Sydney NS,

1 day to take the ferry across to Port aux Basques (6-8 hours sailing)

1 night PaB possibly needed

2 nights to explore the west coast and the Northern Peninsula (Gross Morne, St. Anthony, L'Anse aux Meadows). I would actually recommend 4 nights if you like to walk in this splendid area and go to Western Brook Pond on the boat. As well as go up to the Viking ruins at L'Anse aux Meadows and visit the Dr. Wilfred Grenfell Historic Site. There is so much to see on this peninsula.

1 night on the way to Twillingate for ...

2 nights Twillingate

2 nights camping in Terre Nova Park

2-3 nights in Trinity on the Bonavista Peninsula (Port Union, Elliston, Bonavista lighthouse)

4 nights St. John's

1 long day to take the ferry across from Argentia to North Sydney (about 16 hours sailing)

1 night probably in North Sydney

4 days to drive back to Toronto.

TOTAL 25 nights, could definitely be more

---

I've done a map to show you this idea. I can only get to Argentia NL (pin J) and cannot create a line to show the ferry crossing the strait. You will have to imagine a blue line across the water from pin J to pin B and then continue on the route back to pin A (Toronto) for the return trip.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/l2kSF

As I say, you will need to think about your parents' (and your!!) travel style and need to pace yourselves. As well as what your priorities are for your destinations. And you need the local posters for NL to correct any mistakes I have made creating this itinerary, especially the ferries and the ferry schedule. The schedule needs to be checked by you. But this gives you a fairly realistic idea of what is involved in visiting Newfoundland.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

At the very least, adjust your schedule to do Trinity before camping in Terra Nova based on your original schedule. It's a better use of driving time. When you leave Trinity, take route 233 through Bloomfield and Musgravetown (connects with route 230 at Lethbridge) and connect with Route 1 at Port Blandford within Terra Nova Park.. It's a nice drive and allows a bit different route than the one driving to Trinity from St. John's.

Or do Twillingate to Trinity, Trinity to St. John's and then St. John's to Terra Nova on your way west to Gros Morne.

St. John's to Trinity about 3 hours non-stop driving time. Trinity to Terra Nova 1-2 hours depending on which campsite you use. Terra Nova to Gros Morne about 5 hours. and St. John's direct to Terra Nova, maybe 3 hours.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 15:43
Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

Great! Thank you for your feedback. My original intention was as you said: do Trinity first then Terra Nova. I was trying to break up consecutive camping nights (2 nights TN, 3 night GM, 3 nights CPHNP). Thought that could be a bit much for the 2 young kids (although they love camping!). I will seriously consider making that adjustment! Thank you fro the Route suggestion as wll!

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

MuftiMixandmatch :

This is fantastic! Thank you for all your excellent inputs. I did do a similar Google Map so I could plan out my routes as well. I'm more of an outdoor/natural/scenery person.

Love to do St. Anthony, but that may be a bit much (although I've already made it all the way from Toronto!). Is it a very worthwhile trip spend 2 days from Gros Morne to St. Anthony (I'm already planning to spend 3 nights in Gros Morne). Again considering I'm more interested in scenary for this trip instead of history.

Will definitely do Western Brook Pond.

Rest of your recommendation is somewhat similar to what I've planned, except you've noted 4 nights in St. John's vs. 3 nights for my plan. I think this will depend on our schedule once we get there. May indeed spend 1 extra night.

- 1 night probably in North Sydney - I will skip North Sydney and head straight to Ingonish (if I still plan to stay at CBHNP).

- 4 days to drive back to Toronto - sounds about right, except I will probably stay 2 nights in PEI, 1 night in Quebec City is only for resting purpose.

Other Notes:

- I may end up having to skip Cabot Trail since everyone in the group have already seen it (although I'd never get tired of going there) and adjust the schedule to a more lesuirely pace (eg. drive during the day on day 1 with a stopever instead of overnight driving for safety and comfort).

- Still want to keep Fundy and PEI since my parents haven't seen that part yet. We did Nova Scotia couple years ago by flying into Halifax.

- With 4 adults and 2 kids, can't really afford to fly into St. John's, otherwise I'd have done that!

Thanks once again!

Edited: 02 January 2014, 17:12
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,799 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

Hi pwuyy ~

From your itinerary, I was mainly concerned about the distances you are planning to drive. As you indicate you are familiar with Maritime Canada, I think you will be fine. Spending a chunk of time in Gros Morne will be well worth it. It looks like a wonderful vacation. Enjoy.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

Hello,

We traveled to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in summer of 2013. I have previously traveled to PEI. All 3 provinces are beautiful..all 3 are completely different. We visited Cape Breton Island before traveling to Newfoundland and we were glad , in the long run, that we did. The Newfoundland scenery blew our socks off, and honestly I think we would have been disappointed had we waited and visited Cape Breton after Newfoundland.

I suggest that you hold the best for last. Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Cape Breton and PEI and visit Newfoundland last. Our trip was 29 days, with 23 of those days in Newfoundland alone. Our original itinerary had us going to PEI as well but we held off to have as much time in Newfoundland as possible.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

I did a 25 day trip to Newfoundland this past summer (there is a trip report on this forum), and here are a few things that I would point out:

1. When staying in Trinity / Bonavista region, go to Elliston and see the puffins (a previous poster noted the town but not the reason to visit it). Oddly, it's not a well advertised feature attraction of the area.

2. Not sure why you put Twillingate before St. John's if you're planning to head west to catch the other ferry anyway. In general, I found that particular village to be one of the busiest on the island, which makes it seem more like a tourist spot (compared to other Newfoundland villages, not compared to real tourist traps elsewhere in the world).

In general, there is lots to do and explore in Newfoundland, and how much time you want to spend on the island really just depends on how "packed" you like your trip.

Also, I think after Newfoundland, Cape Breton might not impress as much, though it's always nice to stay in the same area for a few days and have fun if you have a good idea of a relaxing activity you want to do there.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
931 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

All good suggestions above. Yes, swap Trinity and Terra Nova to make better use of your driving time and not back track. also, the run from Terra Nova to GM would be easier than from Trinity by a couple of hours, I think. At least one. Twillingate is busy but it's because it has a lot to offer. Boat tours, hiking, good food, theatre and music, two great community museums, the second in Durrell. Oh, and a winery!

9. Re: June/July 2014 Itinerary Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland