We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten days

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Ten days

We are coming from NZ in July and will have ten days to have a look around.

Where are we best to fly into? Flight will likely be from San Francisco.

What are the must do activities in such a short period of time?

We need to end up near New York, or at least heading that way, by the 16th of July.

Is there a suggested intinery? We aren't hugely flush, so will be on a bit of a budget.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 19:08
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ten days

First my bone fides ... I've been to Newfoundland once, in 2011, and used McCarthy's Party tours. That said, I agree with all the advice above. First, 10 days is just about the right amount of time for a quick visit. Newfoundland is just a bit larger, geographically, than New Zealand. Start by flying into St. John's and buy a good island map or ensure you have gps in the car rental. Spend 3 days driving around the Avalon peninsula; stay in some b&bs. Then head northwest and visit Fogo Island and Twillingate (maybe you'll see an iceberg.) as suggested (think 2 - 3 days here too), then go westward to the west coast (the drive will take most of a day), stop in at Corner Brook, then north along the west coast all the way to L'Anse aux Meadows. Plan to hike/walk in Gros Morne National Park, and stop wherever you see an opportunity along the way to gaze at the ocean. Finally, drive back south to Deer Lake airport to depart. Drive carefully. Watch for moose ... really. Have a great time! We certainly did.

12. Re: Ten days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland