We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day visit

Kootenays
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
5 day visit

We are visiting the maritimes in September, flying into Halifax and renting a car; would like to see as much as we can in NL, and are budgeting 4-5days to do the west coast, Gros Morne? Any suggestions on what to see, where to stay etc on the west coast of NFLD?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day visit

Are you flying from Halifax to St. John's or are you planning to take the ferry to NFLD?

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
704 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day visit

Find accommodations use TA for reviews visit the park for at least 2-3 days

Kootenays
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day visit

We haven't booked the rental car yet, so we could do either.

The ferry takes 6 hours each way, with a 1 hour wait for boarding, & costs about $400 return for 2 people.

Flights are about $600 return for 2 people and with airport security etc would take up about 3 hours each way.

Apparently it takes about 7.5 hours to travel by car from St John's to Deer Lake in the west.

With the limited time we have we're planning to concentrate our visit to the west cost of NFLD. This has us leaning toward taking the ferry.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day visit

Flight costs are quite high, but save time compared to the ferry. Are you aware that Air Canada offers direct flights from Halifax to Deer Lake? Why would you have to drive from St, John's??

Kootenays
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day visit

The cost of flying from St John's to Deer Lake is close to $1300 for 2 people return. (Sure not like cheap flights all over Europe & SE Asia.) Anyway looks like the only option to see NFLD 's west coast is via ferry.

Any suggestions on where to stay as a base while visiting Gros Morne? Rocky Harbour? Deer Lake?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day visit

I just returned from a 7 day trip. Flew to Deer Lake, rented a car and drove to Rocky Harbour (about an hr). From there I did day trips to Norris Pt, (boat tour there of Bonne Bay) as well as the Bonne Bay Marine Station which is fabulous; Woody Point (small town but beautiful); Trout River, Cow Head and every spot in between. The purpose of my trip was to find my "roots" . .. mom was born in the Bonne Bay area so it was very successful. Locals were so down to earth!!! Lots of places to grab a bite ... I had fresh lobster; scallops; halibut and fish and chips and every bite was better than the last. I am a senior and travelled alone ... no problems at all ... I didn't want things to be too hectic for me so it was very relaxing; no city traffic; no "drama"; no cell phone service (unless you have Bell) and my GPS was constantly confused!! Lots of trails if hiking is an interest. Lots of local arts/crafts in that area. If I an help with anything else, please contact me. I stayed at OceanView in Rocky Harbour but there are also lots of cabins for rent .. most have bbq's so lots of people like to cook up fresh fish themselves.

7. Re: 5 day visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland