We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. credit and ATM cards

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
U.S. credit and ATM cards

Hi everyone,

We're traveling to Newfoundland soon and are wondering if we'll have any problems using our credit/ATM cards (ours don't have the chip). The latest post on this is from 2012 so we're also wondering if ATMs are still hard to find.

Thank you!

Jessie

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
661 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

Most towns have ATM's, the bigger centers have banks with ATM's you wont have a problem with non chip cards as our credit card processing machines take all cards.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
957 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

I would recommend carrying a certain amount of cash though. A number of places are still cash only, more that in the past based on our experience this summer. Also, the ATMs are generally private with substantial withdrawl fees ($2.00) plus your bank charges and then limit the amount of the withdrawl, sometimes to as little as $100 per transaction.

Use the bank machines in the communities that actually have banks.

On Fogo Island last week there was a traffic accident that took out cell, wifi, phone and electricity for half the island. Many businesses had to go cash only for 3 days.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
661 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

I also should have mentioned contact your credit card company's and tell them that you are travelling to Newfoundland.This way you wont have any problems with having your credit cards being declined.All hotel,motel,B&B's must take credit cards or debit as of May 2014 but can choose which ones they take such as american express, but like Lazydays mentioned things happen so have some cash on hand at all times.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
957 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

Restaurants sometimes post cash only. We saw this in Twillingate and Fogo areas. there is usually an ATM in the area and they'll offer directions. Samsone's and Sons Lobster Pool is well worth the run to the ATM for a dinner by the water. Hillgrade, NL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

If you are going outside of the major centres, definitely have cash on you...a lot less stress on you for sure...

Gander NL
Level Contributor
957 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

I carry cash and use card whenever I can, which is most places. Cash is also good for entry to community museums, community events, road side stands or festivals, etc so some small bills or toonies and loonies in the pocket is good. Provincial museums take plastic.

Small businesses lose a percentage of their sales in service charges with plastic and seasonal businesses are charged minimum monthly fees by banks if they have no transactions in the off season. Lack of decent internet access and the expense is another reason some go cash. I'm sure there are also a few who might use it to be creative with how much income they claim but generally, they are tired of paying banks a percentage and getting little back.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

Thanks so much for the information, everyone! Very helpful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

Just a quick note that your cash needs to be Canadian dollars. I have seen a few travellers (some from the US, some from countries across the pond) get in trouble because they only had US dollars with them and thought that should suffice. Not the case at all! You might get away sneaking an American quarter or a nickel instead of their Canadian counterparts, but in general, people would be doing you a huge favour by taking US cash.

Gander NL
Level Contributor
957 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

yes, those same infrequent banks are infrequent for business owners trying to deposit foreign currency. Got an American quarter in my change in Trinity this week. :-)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,108 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U.S. credit and ATM cards

Hi Jessie;

Many businesses will accept American currency as a courtesy to American tourists. Businesses that choose to accept US dollars set their own exchange rate, so you may find the rate different from store to store, and the rate will NOT be in your favour. You will receive your change in Canadian funds. Coins, as a general rule, are accepted at face value…at par.

Automated equipment, i.e. vending machines, public transit machines, parking meters, etc - basically anything where you insert coins / bills... will only accept Canadian currency.

Most places will take credit cards, however there may be fees over and above the exchange rate charged by the credit card issuer. Some credit cards have a Foreign Usage Fee tacked on for usage outside of the issuing country. Check with your card issuer for exact details.

You could always use your bank card to withdraw money from an ATM. Check with your bank to find which Canadian banks they have an agreement with and then utilize that Canadian bank’s ATM for the fewest / cheapest fees & surcharges.

For some money saving tips, have a look at the traveller article “Canada – Banks & Money” here on TA.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:Ba…

Best Regards