We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Shivta and it's area

Israel
4 posts
Save Topic
Visit Shivta and it's area

I'm planning to visit Shivta National Park on my way to Eilat.

Is their anything else interesting in the area?

I thought about visiting Nitzana and Auja(The old Ottoman railway station) but I don't know if it's worth the extra time.

Avdat National Park
National Parks, Canyons
Bird Watching Park
Hiking Trails, Nature & Wildlife Areas, National Parks, Biking Trails
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,199 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

I collect railway stations... and I can tell you there isn't very much to see at Nitzana/Auja except a rather nice water tower. There are a few scattered ruins about, but they are probably not station buildings.

If you are into old stations, don't miss Beersheva!

USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

My father went once to visit Nitzana and his friend Lova Eliav, who I believe was instrumental in its founding. He said it was a really interesting and moving experience. (But maybe having a tour from the founder and meeting people there, etc. was more interesting than the place itself?)

Edited: 11 January 2014, 22:16
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

My "not much to see" refers to the old railway station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitzana,_Israel

It doesn't seem worth going to see the youth village unless of course you have a personal connection with it.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

Shivta is an amazing place especially if you have the time to really walk around it and know the context of what you are looking at.

Futher south east and on the way between Shivta and Eilat are the ruins of Avdat which are from the same era and also worth a visit but after Shivta maybe a little "to much of the same" although there is alot more reconstruction in Avdat and it is easier to "understand" what you are looking at.

The train station at Auja is not really exciting but a little futher down the road just outside the village of Azuz is an old water cistern built for the railway and now converted and used by Be'erotim - a local tourist company and perhaps worth a squiz but not on it's own.

All the way between Be'er Sheva and Azuz one can see the remains of the railway line's foundations including many bridges most of which are partially destroyed as a result of sabotage in WW1 and or as a result of weathering. The bridge over Wadi Beer Sheva is still fairly intact and is missing just 1 or 2 spans and just outside Azuz is the only complete bridge that I know still exists and a fine "little" bridge it is and it is now a road bridge on the minor road that crosses the wadi there.

Next to Niztana are the Nabatean/Byzantine ruins of Tel Niztana. These are quite impressive but alas during WW1 the Turks built a hospital atop of them using the ancient dressed stone and so both damaging and changing the site.

Off the beaten track are other sites such as Rucheibe but these require a 4X4 and preferably a local guide who knows where they are and also they can only be visited when the army is not using the adjacent area for manouvers.

Adam

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

Shivta is an amazing place especially if you have the time to really walk around it and know the context of what you are looking at.

Futher south east and on the way between Shivta and Eilat are the ruins of Avdat which are from the same era and also worth a visit but after Shivta maybe a little "to much of the same" although there is alot more reconstruction in Avdat and it is easier to "understand" what you are looking at.

The train station at Auja is not really exciting but a little futher down the road just outside the village of Azuz is an old water cistern built for the railway and now converted and used by Be'erotim - a local tourist company and perhaps worth a squiz but not on it's own.

All the way between Be'er Sheva and Azuz one can see the remains of the railway line's foundations including many bridges most of which are partially destroyed as a result of sabotage in WW1 and or as a result of weathering. The bridge over Wadi Beer Sheva is still fairly intact and is missing just 1 or 2 spans and just outside Azuz is the only complete bridge that I know still exists and a fine "little" bridge it is and it is now a road bridge on the minor road that crosses the wadi there.

Next to Niztana are the Nabatean/Byzantine ruins of Tel Niztana. These are quite impressive but alas during WW1 the Turks built a hospital atop of them using the ancient dressed stone and so both damaging and changing the site.

Off the beaten track are other sites such as Rucheibe but these require a 4X4 and preferably a local guide who knows where they are and also they can only be visited when the army is not using the adjacent area for manouvers.

Adam

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

Adam gave a very detailed area attracrions discription.

I would suggest to stop at the Ben-Gurion's Desert Home at Kibbutz Sde Boker, En Avdat National Park (nice walk); Avdat National Park (Nabatean city) and Ramon crater

Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

Shuffaluff - I like historical places, train stations included. I have been in Beersheba Ottoman train station. I heard about plans to restore the station.

onekbear - I have no doubts that's it was very interesting to visit Nitzana with it's founder. I will probably go inside the village just to take a peek.

adamsela - The reason why I want to visit Shivta is because I already visited Avdat a few times and I want to see something I haven't seen before. I will probably visit the attraction you mentioned. My main problem is that Road 10 is closed. If the road was open I could go directly from Azuz to Eilat but at this time I have to return to Tlalim Junction.

giora l - I visited the attractions you mentioned though I will probably stop at Ramon crater again for the view.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,199 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

Gilmeiri, how long is it since you were at the Beersheba station? Have you seen the real live - well, not really live but genuine, "stuffed and mounted" - steam locomotive that's been there just over a year? My avatar is the loco, photo taken on the day it arrived from Ashdod port (having been shipped from England), but since then it has been painted black.

Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

I was in the station before they brought the steam locomotive.

I guess I got another spot to stop on my way.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,199 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Shivta and it's area

Yes! And of course the longer you wait the more advanced the station renovations will be. I was there a few months ago and it was full of workmen... There's also some old rolling stock there.

Other old stations worth visiting are Afula and Kfar Yehoshua. Tzemach is being renovated. And of course the First Station in Jerusalem and the Tahana in Tel Aviv.

Get answers to your questions about Southern District