We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem-Bethlehem

Iserlohn, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Jerusalem-Bethlehem

Hi!

I am going to visit Israel for the first time in March 2014. I found some hotels in Jerusalem, but they are really expensive! There are some cheap offers in Bethlehem.

Does it make any sense to sleep in Bethlehem and to visit Jerusalem at daytime? Are there any problems with crossing the checkpoint a couple of times during a day?

Regards :)

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:31
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

I do not feel it is practical to stay in Bethlehem in order to visit Jerusalem. A night while visiting Bethlehem works great but there could be a line at the crossing and you will waste time each time you cross.

What is your nightly budget? Perhaps we can help you find something that fits. ( and for how many people are you looking)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

You could feasibly do this but it would be an inconvenience. First of all you will not be able to have a rented car unless you obtain one in East Jerusalem. You will need to travel by bus or taxi to anywhere you want to go in the city. The crossing usuallt is not time consuming but one never knows.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,836 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

It simply is not practical. Stay in Bethlehem one or two nights. As noted, give us an idea of budget, etc and perhaps we can point you towards something that will work.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

Have a look at www.jerusalem-little-hotel.com My wife and I stayed there because we were on a budget and we thought it was fairly close to the old city. As it turned out it was only a 5-10 minute walk to the old city, its right across from Ben Yehuda street, taxis park nearbye, the light rail runs right past it, and the Nesher taxis from the airport pick up and drop off just behind it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

I have stayed in Bethlehem at the Jacir Palace, and have also rented apartments for a week or more in Jerusalem. Each choice worked fine for me. When I stayed in Bethlehem I taxied back and forth, quick and easy. It was no problem. It took about 15-20 mins tops. Enjoy your trip to the Holy Land, I can't wait to go back again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

I agree with the majority view here that it makes no sense to stay in Bethlehem to visit Jerusalem. Check out the Three Arches Hotel at the Jerusalem International YMCA and the St. Andrew's Scottish Guest House for less expensive options at great locations (particularly the YMCA).

Douglas Duckett

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

I have stayed at the Jacir Palace also (on a tour) but although staying in Bethlehem is fine for visiting sites there I personally don't think it is practical for more than a couple of nights.

I would suggest that you check out private places to rent on www.airbnb.com

We have done that for our next trip since we will be in Israel for 7 weeks, and in Jerusalem for three weeks - and we easily found a nice little apartment that was very centrally located at a much cheaper price than the hotels. Choose one that has a lot of recommendations to feel comfortable that everything is as advertised.

Iserlohn, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

Hello!

Thank you all for your answers! I am travelling alone and my budget is about 100-150 € for my stay in Jerusalem. I am also going to visit other cities in Israel, so I would like to stay just for 2 or 3 nights in the Jerusalem District. I know, it is not a lot of time to visit everything, but it is better than nothing :)

Happy New Year ;)

Patrick

9. Re: Jerusalem-Bethlehem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19