We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

We are renting an apartment in the German Colony and we plan to use buses for our transportation for the most part. I know that I can also walk to many places and my husband and I have done that in the past. This time we will be with our 10 year old twins and I want to conserve their energy for the touring when necessary and in the evening I suspect they will be worn out.

I was hoping for some "on the ground" advice about taking the bus and walking in the most efficient way.

Specifically walking from the German Colony to the Jaffa gate. I see some routes on a map but it isn't always clear that those routes are walkable, ie. no sidewalks, hard to cross the street etc.

Also the most efficient way to walk toward the City Center?

Regarding the buses that go toward the old city,is the bus stop at the LRT Jaffa station? Is that where you get off to be closest?

When going to the City Center would you take a bus all the way? Bus to LRT and what are the most popular stops there?

We are staying at 4 Masaryk if that makes a difference although I think all the main bus stops are on Emek Refaim.

If there is a question I should have asked but didn't please let me know.

Thank you!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

Hi,

Walking to Jaffa Gate: I walk two ways, depending how I'm feeling.

Route #1: Up Emek Refaim, keep on straight with Liberty Bell Park on your left, straight on to King David Street, all the way to the bottom of King David Street, then right onto Yitzhak Karev St. and all the way to the end which is under Jaffa Gate (variant - walk through Mamilla Mall instead of along the road).

Route #2: Up Emek Refaim, at the intersection with David Remez St. go down the short steep street that leads to the Begin Center (I think it's called Nachon St.). Then cross over the pedestrian bridge to close to the Cinematheque and walk down Hebron Road, over Ma'aleh Hashlom St. (there are traffic lights) and up Chativat Yerushalayim St. with the walls of the Old City on your right until you get to the road that goes up to Jaffa Gate (which has a sidewalk).

I think Route #2 is shorter distance, but the section by the wall is very steep. Route #1 is a flatter route. Take your pick. But both are a healthy walk and given your comments about the children you might prefer to take a taxi. In my experience with my own kids and visitors, by the time they've done that walk they may not have the energy and patience to do as much walking around inside the Old City as you will probably want them to.

Walking to City Center: Straight up Emek Refaim, past Liberty Bell Park, veer left to Keren Hayesod St. which turns into King George St. and you're in town. Depending where you're heading you could walk across Independence Park to cut a corner. But again unless you're walking for exercise or to see the views I would take a bus or taxi.

Bus to Old City: best is to get an 18 or 18 Alef from Emek Refaim. At the bottom of King David St. it turns left to Agron St., then after about 50 meters there's a stop. Get off there and walk down Yitzhak Karev St. or through Mamilla Mall.

Going into town I'd get a bus all the way, Number 18 or 18 Aleph as mentioned, which goes down King George St. then around the back of Jaffa St. and back over to Agrippas and right past Machane Yehuda Market. The 18 has a stop on King George St. between Ben Yehuda and Jaffa St. - can't get more central than that.

There are other buses to town - 4, 4 Alef, 14, 21 - which you can look up and are all also options. All have stops along King George St. For getting into town these buses are around 5-7 minutes quicker than the 18 as they don't make the detour around King David St. and Agron St.

One last point - as there are four of you,the difference between using a bus or a taxi will not be huge for many journeys, so you may want to splurge on a taxi and save your kids' legs for the meaningful walking you want to do.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,587 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

To add a bit more to PRSV's great info - there are no bus stops at LRT stops - in town the light rail runs on Jaffa Road and there are no buses, or other vehicles allowed there - the buses will be on parallel or cross streets.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

To slightly correct Orit - bus/tram connections depend on which stop. Connections are marked on this map:

jet.org.il/Web/…Default.aspx

But I join PRSV in suggesting using a taxi to the Old City. While it's technically walkable from the German Colony, it's better to preserve your energy for the steps and hills inside the Old City. NB on your way back home from the Old City, you can take the 38/38 aleph bus every half hour from the parking lot in the Jewish quarter or the road outside the Dung Gate, and it will take you to the old train station which is a short walk from where you will be staying. The 38 and 38 aleph have a circular route; you could theoretically also take this bus into the Old City, but timings are less certain (the routes start from the parking lot mentioned above, and only run every half an hour) and one of the routes has a substantial detour around the centre of town.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

You are correct in the assumption thay using a taxi will not be much more than taking the bus. But it certainly will save you a whole lot of time.

Chana

Israel

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

Thank you for your replies. I didn't realize that taxi fares would be so close to the price of 4 bus tickets. I thought I could do the multi ride bus ticket for the adults (10 rides for the two of us) but then I saw that for the kids to get a discount they would need a 20 ride ticket and I am not sure we would do 10 bus rides during our time. We will ride the bus a few times because I think it is part of the experience of traveling in a city but good to know that a taxi ride isn't an extravagance in this case.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

In order to get the discounted multi-ride tickets, you will need a "rav kav" smart card, which you then charge up with the relevant multi-ride card You can sometimes buy an anonymous "rav kav" from a bus driver, if he has one, but it costs 5 NIS; I'm not sure whether you can buy a child-rate multi-ride ticket without a rav kav card that is registered specifically to a child, though you can buy individual child tickets. Also note that while the rav kav card can be used across many transit companies, the multi-tickets themselves are not transferrable to different bus codes - that is, you can't use your Jerusalem ticket in Haifa (which has a different ticket code) or Tel Aviv (which has a different bus company) even though the rides are the same price. In short, it's probably not worth bothering with multi-ride tickets.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

I agree it's not worth the hassle of the Rav-Kav. The total amount of money you could potentially save will be the cost of a few ice creams or coffees. Not worth losing any sleep over!

8. Re: Basic Bus/Walking questions from German Colony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18