We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

Traveling to Israel for 6 days. What is the best suggestion for a base? I was thinking about some nice Kibuz Hotel or B&B from where we could travel to: Jerusalem, Masada, Tel Aviv, Gallilea, Hiafa. Acre… Is this even feasible? Any suggestions on a Hotel?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

With only 6 days in Israel you have little flexibility in your itinerary : 2 days Jerusalem, 1 day Dead Sea, 2 days Galilee and 1 day in Tel Aviv, for example. Therefore Jerusalem should be your base because both the Dead Sea and Tel-Aviv are only an hour away, i.e. your traveling time will be minimized.

To go to the Galilee you can either rent a car or take organized tours: look at the "Egged tours" or the "Abraham tours" web sites.

Do you have 6 full days? What is the date of your arrival ?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

What you are proposing is going to have you running around non-stop. Jerusalem as mbgg states is your best bet. It takes time to change hotels. There is no kibbutz hotel that is a well located as a hotel in the city of Jerusalem. Even a place like Ramat Rachel( a kibbutz within Jerusalem city limits, but on the outskirts) will eat up too much time since you will be walking distance from nothing. It is approx. 30 minutes to the center of town and then you would have to change to the lIght rail to get to the Central Bus station! If you give a budget there may be some smaller B & B type of places in more centrally located Jerusalem.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

i actually did not want to stay in Jerusalem, and just visit it or one day. I have stayed in the City last time, and just wanted to take my husband on a day trip of the old city. Was hoping to stay in a small hotel and drive for day trips from there...

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

If you will have a rental car the entire 6 days I suggest Neve Ilan or Maaleh Hahamusha. Both just outside Jerusalem and easy to get to all areas of the country durung your stay. Ramat Rachel is also an excellent choice and will allow you to forgo morning traffic into Jerusalem and to the north.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

It would really help us if you would explain what you saw on your previous trip, what parts of the country you would like to see on this trip, and any other requirements or constraints.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

I very much suggest you stay in 2 locations - one in the north for visiting Haifa, Galilee, Akko, and one around Jerusalem for visiting Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Masada. As someone who commutes frequently from Jerusalem to the north, I totally do not recommend this as a method of sightseeing - you will lose more than half of your days in travel time, and the traffic jams in both directions can be brutal.

I also don't really recommend Ramat Rachel. It's very nice but it's the "wrong" side of Jerusalem for travel out of the city to other locations so will cost you extra travel time, and is not particularly convenient even for seeing Jerusalem as it's so far out of the centre of town.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

After looking a the map more and reading the very helpful comments in this thread i am thinking:

1. day one (arrival to Tel Aviv at around 10 am) - look at the White City, Port, Neve Tzedek & Carmel Market

& travel to Jerusalem for an overnight stay (not sure if taxi or bus yet)

2. day two - Jerusalem: Old City, Jaffe Light Rial & dinner at the Market

& stay at Jerusalem

3. day trip to Masada & Dead sea with Abraham Tours (used them before) (still not 100% sure , maybe we can drive ourselves) after the trip take a car and drive to Galilee and check in to http://www.barbakfar.co.il/

From Galilee we can drive around north of the country and visit Haifa.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

On day 3 drive yourself to Masada, you can then drive straight up north to the Galilee afterwards. It will be one very long day but if you do a tour instead, you will likely not be able to get up to the Galilee on this day at all.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

Yes, Anmejoshme, I have also realized after i posted the reply :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Israel for 6 days - best homebase

<<& travel to Jerusalem for an overnight stay (not sure if taxi or bus yet)>>

Bus. The buses go every 10-15 minutes, are comfortable, fast, go at their set time and have a big compartment for luggage. The fare is 19 shekels.

If you mean taxi and not sherut (shared taxi): how many are you? You say mostly "I" but there is the occasional "we". Unless you are four people, a taxi would be an unnecessary expense. Where in Jerusalem are you staying?

I would not recommend the sherut because it is cramped with nowhere to put luggage. And they go when they are full, and there's no knowing how long you will have to wait.