We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private guide

Harlingen, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
private guide

I am planning a trip for myself and two friends to Israel next year. We will base in Jerusalem but would like to check out the option of hiring a private guide to take us to places outside of Jerusalem such as Sea of Galilee, Capunium, Mt. of Beatitudes, Nazareth, Bethlehem, the Herodian, Jordan baptismal spot, Mt Carmel etc.

Any advice on some reasonable and trustworthy options?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: private guide

Welcome to the Israel forums.

Right now you are in the Jerusalem forum, if you go to the Israel forums there is a top question section on the upper right hand side. If you click the 8th question, it is called "private guides?" Contained in the 3 links that open are recommendations from regulars on the forum and from travelers. The third link also contains a guide that I put together on how to find and hire the guide that is best to for you ( as well as recommendations of names) I suggest you check this out.

BTW my favorite licensed guide is Oreet. She along with Chana ( visitIsrael) and Dave are regular contributors to this forum.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: private guide

Rdglady's recommendations are good but I would just add that since they are Israelis they are not allowed to guide in the area of the West Bank under the full control of the Palestinian authority. From your list the only place in that category would be Bethlehem, but would also include Jericho if you are interested in going there. With that in mind I would like to add the recommendation of www.twinstours.org The twins, Andre and Tony, are Palestinian Christians who can guide in all parts of Israel and also the West Bank. Alternatively, you could do a half day tour to Bethlehem from a group such as www.abrahamtours.com

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,310 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: private guide

Please reconsider having only one base in Jerusalem - it will make it inconvenient to visit sites in the north of the country - the Galilee and the Golan - you will spend so much time "commuting" back and forth.

It would be worth your while to spend one or two nights in the north - you won't be as tired and you will make better use of your time.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private guide

Agree with Oreet. It makes no sense touring Mount Carmel, Galilee and the Golan Heights as a day trip from Jerusalem.

I suggest you stay your first night in Tel Aviv and then head north along the Mediterranean Coast (stopping in Caesarea along the way). Spend at least 2 nights in the Galilee region.

The balance of your touring program can be accomplished with a base in Jerusalem.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: private guide

I think it is good to point out that public transport to get to Christian sites around the Sea of Galilee is not good, and taxis work out expensive for that kind of thing (we tried it one year and spent far too much money on taxis).

If you go with the very good plan that Dave suggested then I would suggest you pick up a hire car as you leave Tel Aviv to drive north, and return it on arrival in Jerusalem. You do not need a hire car in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem - it is easier to get around on public transport or by foot. Make sure you book a car via the Israeli site, and the one that is recommended the most here in Trip Advisor is www.eldan.co.il

If you don't wish to hire a car then you could perhaps get public transport to Tiberias and then hire a private guide to take you around. Private guides are expensive but well worth it. I can recommend Richard Woolf for the area around the Sea of Galilee. My husband and I toured with him for a day earlier this year. He is a little expensive but is a very lovely man and a good, knowledgable guide with a comfortable vehicle.

6. Re: private guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 06:15