We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entertainment Book

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Topic
Entertainment Book

I'm thinking of ordering an Ent. Book for our trip. We're staying 6 nights, & thought we could more than make up the money on dining & attractions. There's 3 Chicago books listed on their site, & I don't know which one to order.

FYI, as of now, we're booked at the Hilton. We plan to visit the Planetarium, take a mobster (Al Capone) related tour, & maybe a ghost tour. We're also planning to do the Segway tour, see Wicked, & maybe go to Six Flags. These 3 may not be in any of the books though, esp. the Segway tour & Wicked. We also enjoy fine dining, but won't want to go too far from the hotel to eat. For example, no 30 min. cab ride away. I'm sure there's some great restaurants closer to the hotel than that. That's as far as I've gotten with the planning so far.

Keeping in mind what we want to do, which book should I order? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entertainment Book

Not sure about the entertainment book, but I'll see if I can take a look later this afternoon.

The other suggestion I have would be the Chicago Guidebook of Values, a free coupon book that is available at the visitor's centers downtown The current one expires in April (I think), but there should be another one out shortly after. They usually have good coupons for attractions such as the Planetarium (2 for 1 admission) or deals like that), some restaurants and other city spots.

Mentioned in this post
The Chicago Diner
The Chicago Diner
146 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entertainment Book

Additionally, Six Flags is a ways North and really pretty inaccessible by public transit. I'd def. recommend driving to that.

You may also want to consider the Chicago City Pass and Go Chicago Cards.

Mentioned in this post
The Chicago Diner
The Chicago Diner
146 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Entertainment Book

Thanks for the info on the coupon book. I hadn't heard of it. If we go to Sea Flags, we'll go on on our way to or from the city & spend the night near the park.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entertainment Book

I don't think the Entertainment book is going to help you with much of what you want to do. I'm fairly certain that the Segway tour wouldn't be covered, I've never seen theater of the caliber of Wicked in there nor Six Flags, you can actually search on their website as to what is covered.

You might be able to find Six Flags discounts another way, some years they have them on Coke products in the supermarkets, they used to sell discount tickets at Jewel but not sure if they do anymore or you can save $10 per ticket online

sixflags.com/parks/…index.html

Those coupon books mentioned above are not always out at the Tourism office but ask and they should have them. They run through April 2007 but they will probably have another one out next year.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Entertainment Book

Thanks for the info. I didn't really expect the Ent. book to contain the Segway tour, or Wicked. I'm not sure, if we'll go to Six Flags or not. I've read mixed reviews.

I didn't know how useful the book would be. We've purchased them for some cities we've previously visited. We've had better luck with some than others. For example, the New Orleans book (pre Katrina) saved us a fortune. I don't think we ate a meal (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) that wasn't BOGO in the book. These were some very nice, fine dining, restaurants for dinner too. Almost all the tours we took were BOGO also. In San Antonio, we definitely got our money's worth, but didn't make out as great as we did in NOLA. On the other hand, due to the way we visit Orlando, we didn't even make our money back on that one. I guess it's always a gamble, but the Orlando book is the only one we ever bought that didn't save us money.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
6. Re: Entertainment Book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 16:18