We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Chicago in September

Minnesota
5 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Chicago in September

My husband and I are making a trip to Chicago in Sept for our first year anniversary. We will be there Wed-Mon, what do you suggest we do? Anything special we should see, or anything to avoid? And I would also like to go out for a nice dinner the night of our anniversary... where would you suggest. Thank you!

Illinois
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

Hi there, you should probably mention what you and your husbands interests are. I think you would get better tips that way. Including what kind of food you enjoy.

Minnesota
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

Thank you for your reply... We are interested in seeing the town basically, anything with interest us. We are both scuba divers so underwater adventures is a big interest to us. We just want to experience Chicago Life. What do you HAVE to do in Chicago.

For food, we enjoy all foods mostly. The foods we don't eat are chineese, and sushi. Everything else is fair game.

Since my first post we have have bought tickets for the Cubs game, and are thinking about going to Navy pier. Would that be best in a day trip? night trip? Or all day and night trip?

Thank you!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

Adamswife, glad you will be joining us for your 1st.

Inasfar as the anniversary dinner, my vote would be for North Pond. Just a lovely setting for a wonderful meal. And, if you wanted to include a walk or carriage ride through Lincoln Park, so much the better. If you don't end up there for dinner, then do try to go for brunch.

Underwater diving - now here's a thought...the Shedd Aquarium does have adult education activities which include underwater photography and the like. You might check out the Shedd's website under "Education" in the adult area - if nothing is listed there for the time you will be coming, maybe send them an e-mail? There is also the "Trainer for a Day" program (but it's pricey) which might interest you.

I would recommend going on the Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise. Maybe a Cubs or Sox ballgame? If the Cubs aren't in town when you are, perhaps a tour of Wrigley Field? Do go to the Art Institute.

Recommend that you forego Navy Pier, unless you were planning on going to the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre or on a lake cruise.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

My bad..I forgot you mentioned you had Cubs tickets already.

As an apology, will mention that you might consider going to Rick's Cafe (Red Line to Sheridan) - about 3.5 blocks north of Wrigley Field, if you were interested in a leisurely, romantic dinner during your trip here. Very small place - chef prepares each meal himself. BYOB.

Minnesota
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

Thank you for the ideas... Can I ask why you say no to the Navy Pier? I have also been looking into a carriage ride but didn't know where to go, will check out lincoln park!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

The River cruise is fantastic - just one of many architectural tours.

We also hooked up with a local Chicago greeter who took us on a tour of parts of the city from his point of view. It's free, and a great way to get to know the city. I can't recall how I found out about the service, but it may be available through the City's tourism website.

If you love art, then the Art Institute of Chicago is an absolute must see. Fantastic museum!!!

Finally, you must check out some live music - Chicago is one of the best music cities in the world. Go to Pollstar.com or a similar service to search and see who is performing.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

Navy Pier has it's pros (a small stained glass museum that's very randomly placed within the building, the Shakespeare Theatre, views), but otherwise, it really doesn't have much else to offer - a Ferris Wheel that seems overly expensive, blah restaurants and booths up-and-down half the Pier that are selling "amusement park" or "state fair" (no offense to state fairs) style little gifts that will be forgotten about five seconds after leaving the Pier.

Again, there's a few pros to the Pier, but they don't require much time at all. Navy Pier will apparently be redone again/expanded upon sometime in the near future, but until then, it's largely (not all, but much of it) a tourist trap with a lot of wasted space.

My idea (and maybe it's crazy) would be to have, instead of booths selling trinkets, have the booths each feature a Chicago restaurant (and another restaurant would fill in if they left), essentially making it a smaller, indoor Taste of Chicago.

8. Re: Trip to Chicago in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 03:17