We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something Special about Chicago?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Something Special about Chicago?

Strange question, hope someone can help.

I am looking for some creative ideas.

I travel with a large group of women. We do girlfriend getaways a few times a year and we are coming to Chicago in June. I always get everyone a gift to start the trip off and to help us remember the trip. I am coming up blank for Chicago. Here are some ideas of what I have done in the past-

New Orleans (so easy) - light up body jewels, pasties and boas.

Costa Rica - beer koozies (a must) and bug spray.

Amsterdam - personalized orange juicers

New Years - crystal tiaras and crystal eyelashes

Nice - sarongs

So what is something that would be relevant for Chicago? Is there a must have trendy thing in Chicago right now? Thank you for all your creative ideas.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

Not sure that either of these ideas are what you are looking for, sounds like you want something to bring with you, but I'll throw them out anyways

A jersey/shirt/cap/nightshirt from one of the local sports teams-Cubs, Sox, Bears

Or to get them in the mood for visiting Chicago, maybe order some deep dish pizza for delivery back home before the trip, I know Lou Malnati's ships and so does Gino's East

aw7
Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

Here are a few random ideas... I'll post more if I think of them.

-pizza cutter (i also like the idea of pizza delivery pre/post trip)

-a set of steak knives

-Art Institute and MCA have great gift shops

chicago
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

A nice pizza cutter is a good idea.

But I can toss out some other ideas:

Green Beer - st. pats day

The Oscars are created here in Chicago. At R.S. Owens. Maybe find some cheap replicas. With funny plaques on them.

Olympics are big now. With Chicago bidding.

Maybe get someone to make some fake medals.

With the Chicago logo:

chicago2016.org/images/chicago2016logo.gif

4. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
5. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
Barron, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

mrolfes~

Love that you do this! Being part of a girls weekend group myself, I know exactly what you're thinking! And I just wanted to chime in with my opinion.

Lots of great ideas!! But I'd say that I like the pizza cutter and the sears tower shaped s&p shakers the best. When I think of Chicago, I think of the Sears tower and the big ol sloppy pizzas!! Just IMHO!!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

Great ideas thanks. Pizza cutter is my favorite so far.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

Also, I will be in town visiting family before everyone gets there, so I can pick up items once I am in Chicago, so in town gifts are also great ideas.

Thanks again

M

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

If you are all staying at hotels, you could get some snacks for their "mini bar", maybe some Garrett's popcorn or some Frango mints/hot chocolate/coffee or some local beer

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Something Special about Chicago?

Since you are coming during the baseball season, there was a fellow selling stuffed billygoats close to Wrigley Field last season. (Are you familiar with the significance of a billygoat?) Don't know if they will be doing the same this year, but thought I'd throw the suggestion out there.

Perhaps you'd like to get T-shirts from Hot Doug's (if you are going there for a meal). Take a look at them on their website.

Viewmasters and slides of the beautiful architecture of Chicago.

Ray-ban Wayfarer sunglasses and CDs of the Blues Brothers soundtrack.