We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Topic
Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

Which of the ethnic neighborhoods are most authentic, & which warrant making a special trip to see? Also, how about Printer's Row? I noticed it's not too far from our hotel. Is there anything of interest there we may want to see? FYI, we DON'T like shopping. We (husband, son (15), & I) do enjoy culture, history, & ethnic dining. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chicago Cultural Center
Art Galleries, Architectural Buildings
Nordstrom
Department Stores
Bloomingdale's Home + Furniture
Architectural Buildings, Department Stores
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

If you are close to Printer's Row, it's worth a look, I think most of the interesting buildings are along Dearborn from Congress to Polk and along Plymouth Court one street over from Dearborn.

Another area I find interesting is Chinatown, it's easy to get to from downtown via the red line. There was a good writeup on places to eat while down there

chicagotribune.com/services/…2266640.story

If you like Indian food, Devon Avenue is an interesting place to go.

If you like history, Pullman, Prairie Avenue and Hyde Park/Jackson Park (good neighborhoods for a local greeter to show you around, some rough areas around them) are interesting areas to explore.

Also take a look at the Chicago Greeter website, they list a bunch of neighborhoods and I presume they tend to be the ones that out of town visitors find interesting. They give free tours of Chicago and it's a great way to see a neighborhood, you must sign up in advance.

www.chicagogreeter.com/VisitorApplication.asp

Another organization that does tours for a fee that's good is the Chicago Architecture Foundation, once again look at the tours offered and you'll get an idea of what some of the more interesting neighborhoods are

http://www.architecture.org/tours.aspx

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

Thanks for all the great info. I'll check out the sites you listed. As of now, we're booked at the Hilton @ Grant Park. I'm so tempted to change to Hotel Burnham or Hotel Monaco though. :p They're just not as convenient to the park & Lollapalooza.

I had mentioned the Chicago Greeter program to my hubby. That's a great program! We definitely plan to take advance of it. We just need to decide where & when. :-)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

There are several really good places to get breakfast in the general vicinity of where you are staying, the Bongo Room on Wabash, Yolk on S. Michigan and Orange on Harrison which is close to Printer's Row.

Also, I think you were asking about prix fixe on another thread? Opera, an upscale Chinese place, has a prix fixe on Tues and Sun, for $25 and also not too far from where you are staying. The peking duck was excellent.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

Yes, I was the one thrilled about the Prix Fixe meal specials. The only thing our family like mores than an outstanding meal is an outstanding meal at an exceptional price. :-D Opera has now been added to our itinerary. Thanks

I also appreciate the breakfast suggestions. From what I've read, the Hilton sounds a bit isolated. I was afraid we wouldn't have many options nearby.

5. Re: Which Neighborhoods Should We Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 01:16