We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near United Center

Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel near United Center

My wife and daughter are going to a concert at the United Center. It is too far to drive back that night. Any recommendations for a hotel nearby that isn't too pricy?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,338 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near United Center

The immediate area around the UC doesn’t have any hotels yet.

You’re better off staying downtown and taking a 19 or 20 bus to/from the concert. www.transitchicago.com has the details.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near United Center

The closest suitable hotels to the United Center are to the east of the UC in the "West Loop" -- e.g., the Ace, Crowne Plaza West Loop, Homewood Suites at 118 N. Jefferson, and the Hampton Inn "Chicago Downtown West Loop." Of those, the Homewood Suites might be best, as it might be the best logistics for accommodating all 3 of you in a single room. There is also a Marriott "at the Medical Center," which is a bit south of the UC. (You may find cheaper hotels closer to the UC but they are more in the nature of "transient hotels" that presumably you would not feel are suitable.)

If those are "too pricey" for your budget, then you might consider either the Carleton Hotel or Write Inn, in Oak Park, which is a suburb about 8 miles to the west of the United Center.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 16:10
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near United Center

There's also a LaQuinta hotel at 4900 S. Lake Shore Drive. It's a little far south to be on their route home, though, if they plan on taking I-55 to I-80.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near United Center

Good point by poster No. 3 about the LaQuinta in Hyde Park. Notably, parking is free there, which is probably not true of the hotels that I listed in the West Loop or the Marriot at the Medical Center.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,187 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near United Center

La Quinta in Hyde Park has free parking for a reason; it is way out of the way. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts." "Free Parking" is unheard of in the city. Stay downtown and take Dave's bus route advice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near United Center

Shallow, the OP is looking for a hotel to stay in for one night, after a concert at the UC, because it's too far to drive back to their home that evening. He is not asking about lodging for a more extended trip for the purpose of sightseeing in Chicago. Given the apparent purpose of the lodging and the request that it not be "too pricey," staying in Hyde Park (or Oak Park) may be exactly what he is looking for. He can be the judge.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,187 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near United Center

The La Quinta in Hyde Park is 7+ miles away from the UC. Perhaps you're confusing it with the La Quinta at 1 S. Franklin in the Loop which would be more practical as it is near the bus routes that are usually suggested to answer this often asked question.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near United Center

Shallow, I am not confusing it with the La Quinta in the Loop. I used to live in HP; I know the difference. The OP's profile doesn't identify where exactly he lives in Illinois but it could well be downstate. Heading south by 7 miles may make perfect sense given that he wants to avoid lodging that is "too pricey." Even with a Spothero, depending upon the date when they need lodging, staying & parking in the Loop, and taking the bus to the UC could be significantly more expensive than staying in HP at the LaQ and driving to & from the concert. We've laid out the choices; it's his to make.

Reply to: Hotel near United Center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted