We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Hi all,

My husband and I are visiting Chicago for a long weekend in July. We have visited many times (our favorite destination!) and have mostly stayed within a block or so of Michigan Ave. But last time we rented an AirBnB and stayed in a neighborhood near Wrigley. We loved feeling like "locals" and spent time in that neighborhood exploring shops and restaurants.

My question for this summer is - what are some good neighborhoods for me to target as I look for a place to stay? Requirements are:

Very near the El (not sure what are plans are yet, but we will for sure be going to the Field Museum, and will ride the train from the airport - not sure which airport yet)

Very walkable neighborhood with fun restaurants and shops to explore

We are both 40, and won't have our kids with us. We aren't that interested in live music, so aren't necessarily looking for that.

15 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,277 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Lincoln Park

Bucktown

Wicker Park

Gold Coast

Before you pull the trigger on a rental, please post the cross streets of the rental that you're considering. Many Airbnb landlords aren't quite truthful in terms of location and safety issues.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,594 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

In addition to the above, neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lincoln Square, and Andersonville.

A couple notes

- The Field Museum is not particularly near an el stop. Depending where you start, a bus is often a better idea.

- Most of the North side neighborhoods are not super convenient from O'Hare airport on the el because you have to go downtown and then back out again. To go to somewhere like Lincoln Park, for example, a train plus bus from O'hare is probably better.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

You could perhaps add Logan Square to the list, parts of it can be a little rough still however. Wes032 raises a good point about travel times regarding O'Hare and the Field (and downtown). However it sounds like you may be planning to spend more time in and around the neighborhood instead this go around.

Another note, in addition to stretching the truth on what neighborhood the rental is in, be sure the rental is valid. Hosts have to be registered, and the building itself cannot be on the "prohibited" list (many condominium buildings, like mine, do not allow short term rentals). This is important, since if the rental isn't valid, there is a chance you will be prevented from staying in it when you show up.

Here's a link to the prohibited buildings listing: https:/…data

You might also want to consider B&Bs or boutique hotels in the aforementioned neighborhoods as well.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Yes, takes a bunch of research for a vacation rental. Particularly, confirming it is legal - although calling the condo assn. board or management company probably would be one of the quickest and surest manners. In addition to researching the other issues of crime, location, etc. It's not easy, not like just getting a hotel at all. Of course, if you had all the safeguards of staying in a hotel, you'd be paying the similar cost of one, too.

Too bad that a certain person recently pulled the plug on DNA Info Chicago, because it was a good resource for local neighborhood updates on the issues with the Airbnb Ordinance in Chicago. Those interested can still read some of their past articles online. So visitors can discover how many locals really feel about those who want to "feel like locals" by going this route.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 17:21
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

So miss DNA Chicago. Lots of great info for locals & travelers

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Air bnb is not welcome in downtown high rises. You should stay with the neighborhoods. Verify the legality of any unit you find.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

I live in River North (most would consider "downtown" and our building is airbnb friendly. I would recommend River North, Old Town, Lincoln Park. Wicker Park and Bucktown can be nice but you need to make sure you're close to the blue line. For the neighborhood feel go with Old Town, Lincoln Park or Wicker Park (off Division Ave or Milwaukee Ave between Division and North). Those area have a lot of shops and restaurants to check out. A lot of good restaurants are in Logan Square which is also off the blue line but a little further out and I would say things are a little more spread out as the area has been changing recently.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Bucktown and Wicker Park are both on the blue line from Ohare and an east commute downtown. Another niece area is the south loop, it’s good from both airports and generally, in walking distance to the field museum.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

There are a number of rules contained in the Airbnb Ordinance.

As I recall, for example, even IF a location may allow a vacation rental (such as the above poster indicates their building does), the City Ordinance requires that the building can only have a certain percentage/number of the units used for that purpose. More than the allotted amount and those extra units are considered illegal. This is to protect the residents of that building, as well as keep certain costs in line - such as insurance.

In addition, as I mentioned on another thread, if there have been complaints against a "host" where their privileges have been suspended, that would affect whether that unit you are looking at is legal or not. Again, suggest that you check with the condo assn. board or management company.

So, when you are doing your research, you not only have to check the validity of not only the street address, but for *that particular unit number*.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 02:46
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?

Just have a question for the locals re the above statement on River North. To me, it would depend *where* in River North a location is to be considered reasonably under the "downtown" descriptive.

For example, I wouldn't consider someplace out by Larabee or Kingsbury and Chicago Avenue (near the north branch) "downtown". Would you?

@OP: Re the 'L issue, two things....Once you get outside of the "downtown", there are limited stops on the different 'L routes. So you have to check how far from the actual station it would be.

Which brings up the second issue, you don't want to be too close to the 'L, either. Some of these buildings sit right up against the tracks. Many, if they've been renovated, may have had soundproofing done, but some may not. Pretty sure you don't want to hear the 'L 24/7.

Edited: 22 November 2017, 02:59
Reply to: Which neighborhood for AirBnB rental?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted