We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with directions please!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Help with directions please!

HI-I'll be taking the train in from the burbs and have to go to the Chicago Public Library on State Street.

Can someone give me walking directions including how long the walk would take and also how long a cab ride would take? I need to schedule an appointment and want to figure out how much time I'll need after I get off the train.

I tried Mapquest but it can't seem to find an address for Ogilvie Transportation Center or anything related to Metra so I figured someone here would be more helpful-thanks!

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with directions please!

Which burb are you coming from?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with directions please!

Also, if you are arriving at Ogilvie, you can walk down the stairs next to the tracks and head towards the doors on the East side of the building. Once you're outside, walk a few steps South to the first intersection, which should be Washington. Head East on Washington about 3 blocks and you'll be at the Washington "L" station. Take the Brown Line "L" a few stops ahead and you'll be at the Library stop. The Harold Washington Library on State is right there.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with directions please!

Coming from Crystal Lake so taking the Pacific Northwest line in.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with directions please!

Ogilvie is on the corner of Madison and Canal. It wouldn't be too bad of a walk - I could probably do it in 15-20 minutes or so - but if you wanted to take the "L" and get off right by the library, I'd walk over to the Washington stop, which is about 3 blocks East from the exit under the track level at Ogilvie. You'd then take the brown line train 3 stops and get off at the library stop.

If I were to walk, I'd walk East on Madison a block or so and go over the bridge to Wacker. Walk 3 blocks South on Wacker to Jackson, then go 6 blocks East on Jackson (going past the Sears Tower) to State and then 1-2 blocks South on State. So, about an 10-11 block walk, but fairly short blocks.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with directions please!

Also,

Metra - metrarail.com

CTA - transitchicago.com (downtown maps, fare information, bus/train routes)

More detail on the stations mentioned:

http://chicago-l.org/stations/library.html (Library)

chicago-l.org/stations/washington-wells.html (Washington)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with directions please!

Here...Try this trip planner. It should help you out. I used it when I was there over Memorial Day weekend.

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

7. Re: Help with directions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 13:19