We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago security

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago security

Hi I`m going to go to Chicago this October for the marathon, it will be very helfull if someone can help me with security tips, please help me.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,085 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago security

Just as in any other major city - a little common sense is all that you need. The tourist areas of downtown will have people out all day and into the evening. As long as you're with the crowds, you'll do fine. Buses and trains are safe.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago security

Thank you, but tell me if there is a dangerous zone.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,085 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago security

As long as you are in the downtown area, you will be fine. As in any other large metropolitan area there are bad neighborhoods. You won't be in any of them.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago security

Ok, and thank you for the information, ahh and tell me if there is anything that can increase my self security in Chicago

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago security

Avoid the green cabs. No, wait, that is something to do for safety in Mexico City.

In all seriousness, Chicago is far more safe than Mexico City.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago security

Not realy, in Mexico City is nearly the same the green cabs but I prefere the other it give you a little more secure and confortable. And yes Chicago is more safety than in Mexico City not all, some parts of Mexico are secure, but they have more accidents, like the one in Chicago that a police hit a teenager.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago security

Hey tell me what type of security I need to have in the hotel or in a restaurant

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago security

Sounds like you should choose a different destination.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago security

I'm not really sure what information you are looking for here or why security seems to be such a huge concern of yours. Because a policeman hit a teenager in 2005?

Chicago is a large US city. The areas where tourists go are safe but just like any other large city you need to use reasonable precautions. Don't make yourself a target-don't keep your wallet in your back pocket, keep an eye on your purse (ie don't sling over the back of your chair in a restaurant), don't flash large wads of cash. If it's really late at night and no one else is walking around, take a cab. Look both ways when crossing the street. Ask before you leave the hotel if you are going somewhere that you need to be careful. Don't pull out your full size map and look at it in the middle of the sidewalk. At your hotel, don't leave valuables out and lock your door.

But wouldn't you follow these rules in any large city? Or even in small ones?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago security

And don't start a question with "Hey."

People here think that is rude.