We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
T.Bay
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

Help, our family is in Chicago for two days (kids 10 & 12) - staying at Best Western River North. What shouldn't we miss? We are there Wed and Thurs and have purchased tickets for Wicked at Ford Centre (Orch Centre Row C and G, seats 112&113- are these good?) Considering two day bus pass?

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
287 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

Lots of choices; Milleinium Park, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium. The Museum of Science and Industry is further south off of Lake Shore Drive, but it is a great way to spend a day. Enjoy your trip!

Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

If you are interested in going up in one of Chicago's two towers, I would choose the Hancock. It is cheaper and offers much betters views than the Sears Tower, in my opinion. My out of town guests loved it much more as well.

boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

I just came back from a few days in Chicago with my 14 year old son. We really went only for a Wait Wait Don't Tell Me taping, but did go to the Shedd Aquarium and lots of wandering around. The Shedd was huge. We were exhausted by the time we were done. Outside, we opted out of the Field because we've done the AMNH so many times, but just walking Grant park to Millenium was cool. There is a great display of Globes all done by different artists. The globes stretch from the Shedd all the way to Millenium Park. Maybe they are in other parts of the city, too. Boston did something similar with cows last year. Your kids might enjoy finding the globes and checking out the different themes. We stayed at the Monaco, which we were really happy with but you've probably already got hotel plans. For a short fun trip there is a water taxi that travels the length of the park, from Shedd to Navy Pier. My son got a kick out of the Rock and Roll McDonalds between Ohio and Ontario. He thought it was the original, first McDs, but I don't think so. It is amazing though, with escalators to a second floor with lounge chairs and chandeliers, and an espresso and gelato bar. We shared a 6 pack of nuggets just to say we'd eaten there.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

The Shedd Aquarium is fun - fish, frogs, penguins, whales, & a dolphin show.

There are always events & activities at Millenium Park.

I agree with etoiles78 about the Hancock. The Sears Tower is overrrated IMO.

Missouri
Level Contributor
452 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

We were in Chicago July 17-21. My kids are 9, 7 & 4. They did not enjoy Shedds. They had seen advertisements on tv for Seaworld and were disappointed in the dolphin show. My 9 year old enjoyed it the most, so maybe your kids being older would like it. We found it expensive for what they had. We all did enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry. We also really enjoyed the Shanghai Acrobats show at Navy Pier.

We went to the Beach, Ohio Street Beach I think. It was near the northern end of the Mag. mile. It looked exactly like the ocean. the water was really cold, but my kids didn't mind at all. There is also a really nice and relaxing restaurant right on the beach.

Enjoy your trip.

Missouri
Level Contributor
452 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

Correction, we went to Oak Street Beach with the restaurant. Ohio Street beach was more clam, not many waves.

7. Re: Chicago Must Sees in a short time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 04:18