We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Hey guys! I'm spending the July 4th wknd with a friend in Chicago. He lives there (he said he rents in downtown) and is 20 mins away from the ORD airport. But he's also moved there recently and doesn't know much about the place.

We're both 28, any fun things you'd suggest we do in 3 days.

I've heard tons of the cool architecture in Chicago. I'm thinking of keeping this more a sightseeing trip within the city unless there are some cool outside places u can think of. I really don't want a "kayaking" adventure or any such as I've done tons of those in other places I've been to.

I want sthg that's "Chicago" and not just a generic adventure holiday. Thanks!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

OK, I was scouring through other posts and so far, 2 things that I'm liking is Navy Pier (supposedly cheesy and touristy) but the biking idea sounds good. Also a boat ride of the city.

Anything else that I could do to appreicate the city / skyline, etc?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Go to the restaurant at the top of the Hancock Building. It's a little pricey but if you don't want to spend a lot on dinner just get dessert or drinks. Because it's on the 92nd floor, you can see the whole city, the beaches and the lake. An unbelievable view. Go during daylight hours and then again at night. Two of the best views possible.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Although I am not a fan of Taste of Chicago (overcrowded, food overpriced) if you are in the downtown area, it's worth having a look. If you plan on eating there, the longest lines will be on the 3rd around dinnertime since a million people show up for the 3rd of July fireworks. Keep that in mind if you are thinking of driving in, take public transport instead. There are a lot of free concerts at the Taste which runs for a week. www.cityofchicago.org/specialevents

Architecture-take one of the river or lake cruises, most people will say that the Chicago Architecture Foundation ones are the best but if you just want to have a look at the buildings, the others are fine too. You can pick these up at Michigan/Wacker or at Navy Pier.

Or the Architecture Foundation has walking tours www.architecture.org.

There's a ton to do in Chicago-museums, theater, festivals, tours, zoos, etc. Maybe you could take a look at www.metromix.com or www.877chicago.com to see what else might interest you.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Hi Vikram - saw your post on the London forum so jumped over here to reply.

My advice as a Chicago lover is that the MUST DO is the river cruise trip run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. Early bookings are proabably essential for July 4th weeekend. Web site architecture.org

Others sites / things to do on my list:

Visit the Chicago Board of Trade. Particularly great if you can do it Monday-Friday when it's still an active commodities trading ecxchange.

Hancock Tower views are well woth it - go up to the bar for cocktails just before dusk adn enjoy the views.

Tour Oak Park for the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.

Check what productions the Steppenwolf theatre are doing.

Sunday moring walk in Grant Park or cycle along Lakeshore Drive.

At dusk watch the display at Buckingham Fountain.

And just walk around - great architecture, friendly people.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Thanks all, yep! Great tips everyone.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Don't know if you are into sailing, but the Chicago Sailing Club at Belmont Harbor rents sailboats to seaworthy individuals. You can also charter sailboats, if you so desire. If you have any interest, you might check out their website. (Montrose Harbor also rents sailboats, I believe.)

Also, since you are here for the fireworks (on the 3rd), a lot of individuals take one of the cruises out for them. For a hefty price, I may add.

Lastly, if you want to get out of Chicago proper any day of that weekend, Lisle also has its Eyes to the Skies festival with plenty of hot-air balloons.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

HEy Vikram, saw your post over in London so thought I'd just pop over here!

Tourist things to do: The river cruise is wonderful and the river actulally flows backwards! IF you do the one that goes into the lake then you get to go through the locks that prevent the river from flowing into the lake, this is fun!

The Taste is really crowded but there is always good, free music at the Petrillo band shell.

centerstage.net/music/clubs/petrillo-music-s…

On a warm summer's evening with good food a little wine and the view of the city lights it's magical.

The Hancock idea is a really good one, the view there is better than at the Sears tower.

There's the new Millennium park.

You can walk the magnificent (mag) mile and do some shopping at Watertower place, you can even visit the Watertower pumping station.

Chicago
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Another vote for the architectural river cruise!

Also, if you have an inclination toward the strange, I invite you to explore Chicago's rich heritage of ghosts and the paranormal through my interactive theater show (now in its second year), "Supernatural Chicago."

Safe travels,

Neil

www.SupernaturalChicago.com

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Cubs are in town 4th of July weekend -- Check out the game, or perhaps the bars of Wrigleyville for the atmosphere before/after the game.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 4th weekend in Chicago!

Excellent you lot! Thank you thank you!!