We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

I'll be meeting my wife and teenage daughter at O'Hare on a weeknight around 8:30pm. We need to get into downtown at Grand and State. I've read in other posts about how to easy it is to take the Blue line from O'Hare to Washington station, transfer to the Red line and go up two stops to Grand station. Given the time of the night we would be on the train (9pm -10pm) and the area we're traveling in, can we expect it to be relatively busy and safe? I've been very comfortable using the NYC subway but didn't know what to expect in Chicago. We like using public transit but didn't want to be careless our first time in Chicago. Taking the train seems like a great option but any advice pro/con would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Neither the blue line nor red line (nor transfer) will be a problem at that time.

If you are still worried sit in the front car up by the engineer.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Here are web pages that give a complete look at each station, with more information/a history of each station. Hopefully, seeing the stations may make you a bit more more comfortable about the trip.

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/ohare.html

O'Hare

chicago-l.org/stations/washington-dearborn.h…

Washington/Dearborn (Blue Line stop)

Transfer to:

chicago-l.org/stations/washington-state.html

Washington/State (Red Line)

And take the Red Line North to:

www.chicago-l.org/stations/grand-state.html

Grand/State (Red Line)

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

My suggestion: take the "Blue Line" to the "Grand Ave." station, walk upstairs and hail a taxi and take it to State St., or wherever it is you're going. All of this talk of going Downtown, walking underground to the "Red Line" and backtracking is something I don't recommend (unless you're on some sort of treasure hunt!).

Enjoy your time in Chicago!

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Well, the Blue Line doesn't go to Grand Ave. If you want to take the "L" to Grand, the way that has been mentioned here is the way to do it.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Maybe I've been traveling in the Twilight Zone (not out of the realm of possibility!). I may have been imagining things, but when I've taken the "Blue Line" it stops at "Grand Ave." I'm thinking that I might also need glasses, when I read the CTA Blue Line route map and I see a "Grand Ave." station clearly marked (www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2004C.html). My impression is that there's been a "Grand Ave." station for at least the past 50 years, or more - but, maybe the CTA closed it recently (dont' think so, though).

Okay, here's the assignment for TA sleuths in Chicagoland . . . your mission, should you accept it . . . it to pay attention to the stops the next time you ride the "Blue Line" and report back on what you see (or think you see!).

Suerte!

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

The Blue Line does stop at Grand Ave.. The Grand Ave. stop was closed from 1990 to about 1998 (approx. dates), so that may have been where some confusion came in about Grand Ave. stop.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

I think Chicago may be the only subway system that has stations with the same name on two different lines that are not interconnected. There is a Grand stop on both the blue and the red lines, the red line is the Grand/State stop and the blue line is the Grand/Halsted/Milwaukee stop about a mile away.

The only concern I have about Grand and Halsted, perhaps GoMexico can address this, is the availability of taxis at 9/10 pm in that area. Grand/Halsted is not in the "tourist" area.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Grand/Halsted is somewhat of a "hot spot", with some bars, restaurants and clubs at or near the intersection. I don't think finding a taxi will be much of a challenge. The corner is actually an intersecting point for Grand/Milwaukee/Halsted.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

You got me thinking some more about activity at the Grand/Milwaukee/Halsted intersection. There are a number of businesses along Grand Ave., Milwaukee Ave. and Halsted St. in the area that attract people/taxi's and those that have quickly come to mind at the intersection are:

LaScarola Restaurant

Como Inn Italian Restaurant

Emmit's Irish Pub

Funky Buddha Lounge

Taxi's go up and down these streets taking people places, including people moving back and forth to Bucktown/Wicker Park, Downtown, the Loop and further west on Grand Ave. to places like the Twisted Spoke and the Italian neighborhood (with restaurants) between Halsted St. and Ashland Ave.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: O'Hare into downtown via Blue line on weeknight

Great information everyone! Thanks for all the links and suggestions. I feel much better about the trek into Downtown and I do like the suggestion of the taxi at the Grand stop for the Blue line. Sounds like there are also some great resturants in that area as well. Y'all are a wealth of information and we're excited about our visit.

Thanks again!