We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Weekend this Summer

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Weekend this Summer

I'm planning a trip to Chicago for a group of nine girls - age 29 or 30. We're reunion in a different city every year. Any suggestions for fun group activities that don't involve a spa. We're looking to stretch our legs and experience the city.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Depending on the time of year:

take a boat cruise on the lake or river, the Chicago Architecture Tour is the one that is the most highly recommended

Rent bikes and ride along the lakefront, you can self tour or do one with a company like Bobby's Bike Hikes

Afternoon tea at the Drake, Peninsula, etc.

Go to the theater-Second City and Blue Man Group are fun options

Eat-there are lots of places that specialize in meals that are shared, Spanish (Cafe Iberico is my favorite), Greek (Greek Islands has a family style option), Quartino (small plates Italian), Osteria Via Stato (prix fixe Italian) or Turkish (Ala Turka has belly dancing on the weekends and is a blast).

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

1154 Lill... go make your own purses!!!!

It's up in Lincoln Park on Armitage at Halstead... so you can shop the area, have tapas at Cafe Bebaraba (I can't spell)... and walk down to Second City if you time it right. (we did this for a bachelorette party and have a BLAST!)

A couple of other ideas, kayaking on the river, volleyball at the beach, or take the train to the Dunes and spend the day at the beach (hike the mountain).

Chicago
Level Contributor
491 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Chicago Architecture Foundation has some good walking tours.

www.architecture.org

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

I agree with the above...check out www.metromix.com for various activities going on the weekend that you will be in town. During the day, I highly recommend the tours provided by the earlier posters. At night it completely depends on the type of place you are looking for: chill/lounge, club, a little of both?

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Amanda, depends on when you are coming.

If you haven't decided exactly when yet, I'd recommend that you take a look at the City of Chicago's website, specifically on the calendar for the major festivals.

Keep in mind that these are only the major festivals - the city's neighborhood festivals are shown in a different section. Although I haven't seen anything officially posted for the neighborhood festivals calendar yet, if you were to look at the calendar for 2007, you'll get a fairly good idea what happens when, because the major neighborhood festivals usually run at the same time each year.

Other fun group activities:

Going to a Cubs or Sox game (although I think you'd probably have a better time at Wrigley Field because of the ambiance and surrounding neighborhood area). By the way, if you go to a Cubs day game, you could all go to the Lincoln Park Zoo that morning first for a few hours and then head on to the ballpark from there (about 1.5 miles NW of the LPZ).

If you are coming during June 26-July 27, Cirque du Soleil will be performing "Kooza".

The Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise is the most highly recommended. Or you could all take a lake cruise - perhaps on the Windy or Windy II (four-masted schooners).

Agree with the suggestions for the biking - either just your group - or in a tour (such as Bobby's Bike Hike). Or maybe a Segway tour (the Chicago Architecture Foundation even has a tour in conjunction with Segways).

The Chicago Greeter service is free. Take a look at their website. You have lots of choices on what to see.

Maybe, if you have enough time here (meaning more than a long weekend), you'd like to take a trip out to the Chicago Botanic Garden during the day and then a night at Ravinia. Either are easily accessible via Metra.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Avoid Navy Pier, its not the way to experience Chicago.

Youve gotten great suggestions here.

When are you coming, this spring? If so, a walk through Millennium Park on a spring day is a nice thing to do.

And theres always shopping, lots of shops on State St and Michigan Ave.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

I agree with avoiding Navy Pier. If you take an afternoon to make Lill purses that would also give you a chance to experience some fun neighborhood shopping as lill is in a neighborhood with a lot of fun shops (although pricey). There is also an Ethel's Chocolate lounge (chocolate fondue etc.) nearby, and good restaurants when you get tired of shopping.

Depending on how much time another fun night might start at Kit Kat lounge--it's in the Boystown neighborhood and they have an awesome martini menu and a drag show most nights, you can find them and reviews on metromix.com. Their food is average and not cheap, but I went there to kick off my bachelorette party and it was the highlite of the night.

I also think the Cubs game is a GREAT idea but buy your tickets early! And sit in the bleachers as that's the true way to experience a Cubs game...along with several beers of course.

FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Such wonderful advice! Thanks to all of you for the good suggestions. I'm research all of them as we speak. We're likely coming in July or August - it's the first available weekend for all nine of us. Any other suggestions for fun restaurants that are good for groups?

chicago
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Besides metromix.com, I'd suggest checking out ChicagoReader.com and ChicagoMag.com.

The popular restaurants/bars are always changing. A few worth looking up include English at 444 N LaSalle Street, Carnivale on West Fulton, Room 21 at 2110 South Wabash, and Alhambra Palace at 1240 West Randolph (Tasting Room at 1415 West Randolph is a nice wine bar, too -- especially the upstairs area).

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Weekend this Summer

Carnivale and Adobo Grill are great for groups. You can parlay Adobo Grill with Second City since they're next to each other. Carnivale is perfect for your demographic.

Venture North of downtown during the day and evening. Post back here in May and find out what street festivals are going on the weekend you're here. Going to one would be a great activity for your group.

Have fun on your trip.

WWW.YELP.COM is huge here if you want to get reviews of restaurants or nightlife.