We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, NE
14 posts
Save Topic
Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

Looking for good breweries/bars for happy hour near crowne plaza metro area.

Are there good places you'd recommend near the river?

Would you recommend going up to wrigley-ville area or boystown at night for some good bars for the mid to late 20 something crowd? Any suggestions would help thanks!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

Suggest that you look at Metromix or the Chicago Reader online to see which places may have drink specials or bar menus for your area. They each have specific sections which show these.

With respect to your question on Wrigleyville and Boystown, you do understand that you will get two completely different atmospheres?

Boystown, particularly on N. Halsted between Belmont and Addison, is where the majority of the gay bars are located (although there a couple on N. Broadway and in other areas of the city).

Wrigleyville primarily has sports-themed bars (being around Wrigley Field), although there are a few other types in the general vicinity.

That being said, you might consider the DePaul area of Lincoln Park neighborhood.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

Goose Isand, Rock Bottom and Piece are the only breweries in Chicago. Goose Island is quite a large brewery...thoguh they have a lot of interesting brews in their brewpub.

If you're the sort that would enjoy Boystown, you may want to be cautious in Wrigleyville...though not fully the case, I tend to label Wrigleyville as the place for fresh out of college frat boys...anyone in there upper 20s or above or part of an alternative lifestyle might not fit in the best, except for during Cubs games. I know I'm being completely stereotypical, but I'd rather be conservative in my estimation of the town than you have a negative experience.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

You might like McGee's on Webster near Sheffield (walking distance from the brown + red CTA el stop @ Fullerton. It's a big Nebraska Football (OSU alumni, too) hangout, and its clientele is very much mid to late 20 something crowd (this is the DePaul neighborhood and you'll find many bars in this area). Across the street from McGee's is Kelly's Tavern, and you can walk east to Halsted (a couple blocks) and find a number of bars (walk south, turn to the right on Halsted) on Halsted between Webster and Armitage and a few spots to the west on Armitage, including Kinkade's.

(www.mcgeestavern.com/mcgees1/index.shtml

Also Nebraska football is big @

Kirkwood Bar and Grill

2934 N. Sheffield Ave.

Chicago, IL 60657

(773) 770-0700

http://www.kirkwoodbarandgrill.com

Hours: games shown all school year

Another part of the Four Corners family, this wood-heavy sports bar hosts Indiana University and Nebraska alumni, with a heavy emphasis on Cornhuskers football. At least 10 plasma screens riddle the brick walls, with numerous satellite hook ups. Unlike its sister bars, though, this one is pretty safe for kids to tag along; it even offers a "Little 500" menu for them. Its roster of imported beers includes Fat Tire and Flying Dog. Upcoming events include a game day taste of Nebraska, in which Red Beer and Runza sandwiches will be available.

In the Loop area, I'd head to The Gage across from Millenium Park. Closer to your hotel, I'd try Alcock's at 411 South Wells.

here
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

If you're going to be in Wrigleyville, Goose Island has a location there. I'd highly recommend giving them a shot. Their beer is tremendous, and they have quite a few options.

Rock Bottom is great, too, and very simple to get to (literally right off of the Grand Red Line stop).

I've never been to Piece, but I will be in Chicago in April and will be going there. I've heard very good things about it.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
86 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

Sheffields is another great beer bar, not a brewery. Also, famous for their Belgium beers is The Hopleaf, it is located just north of Wrigleyville.

here
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

The Hopleaf is my favorite beer destination in Chicago. It's not a brewery, but they have one of the best, most unique tap lists I've ever seen. Tons of bottles, too. Even some mead. Get there earlier on the weekends if you want a seat, as it fills up at night. I think they open at 3 PM.

The #22 bus drops off right at the place. Or, you can take the red line to Berwyn and walk 6 blocks to Clark.

Charlies Ale House is down the street on N. Clark, too. Pretty good beer bar.

If you do happen to visit Piece, the Map Room is within walking distance from there on N. Hoyne. Another incredible beer destination. Again... it gets crowded late. Not as many taps as Hopleaf, but an amazing selection altogether. And, they have beer on cask...

7. Re: Good Breweries/Happy Hour Places Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 09:16