We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress attire

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
dress attire

We will be attending The Lion King. Is it appropriate for my sons to wear a pair of nice dress shorts with a button up shirt? We will be walking from the train station to the Cadillac Palace Theater, and it is going to be VERY hot. We do not attend plays, and I am unsure of the dress attire. (especially for children)

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dress attire

I would think that it would be fine.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dress attire

When I went to see Lion King there were more children in the audience than adults. And, children do wear shorts in the Summer. However, I think long pants are more appropriate for the occassion.

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dress attire

You will not be turned away as long as you are wearing all aspects of clothing (shirt, shorts, shoes). You could probably get away with wearing a hat during the performance, although I do not recommend this. It's rude.

I expect you will find a range of attire, and your boys will not feel underdressed. Chicago is big on tourism, and understands that many tourists will be walking in the heat. You and your family should dress comfortably, so you can better enjoy the performance.

10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dress attire

The more I think about it, the more I feel it neccessary to say that Business Casual is the standard.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dress attire

qmdock, I just attended The Lion King this Wednesday evening. This was the first time I've gone to this (missed it the first time around here and didn't have the chance in London). I will tell you unequivocably that it was one of the best theatre experiences I've had in a long time--it rates up there with what I consider the best and I've attended Spamalot (just this spring), The Producers (with Nathan Lane/Matthew Broderick) and Victor/Victoria (with Julie Andrews). Truly, I enjoyed it much more than Wicked, although Wicked was fun.

Getting back to your question, though, when I went, I saw all manners of dress (including some not so pretty sights where the people were wearing extremely casual, sloppy outfits). As long as your son is wearing dress shorts with street shoes (and not gym shoes), I'm sure you will be ok, especially if you are going to a matinee performance.

By the way, you might save yourself a little bit of discomfort and just take a cab over to the Cadillac. I'm not sure which train station you are coming into, but it's fairly close to all of them (and very close to some of them), so we are not talking a lot of $$ here. It will add to your theatre experience enjoyment if you haven't rushed to get there in very hot weather.

If you are looking for a nice place to eat before (or after, if a matinee), I recommend the Golden Budha - only 1 block to the north on Randolph. They don't have a child's menu but the portions are very generous and sharing is not a problem. It's a lovely restaurant with a waterfall ambiance and wonderful cuisine. They have luncheon specials under $7 as well (11:30 a.m. - 2pm).

Have a great time!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: dress attire

gmdock, sorry, meant to say that Golden Budha is one block to the west of the Cadillac on the north side of Randolph. Sorry.

Hope you and your sons have a wonderful time there!