We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intercontinental Hotel - ??

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Topic
intercontinental Hotel - ??

Hi all,

Just another quick question,

I have been informed we are staying at the IH, is this hotel okay for position to attractions and can I see most things on foot from this hotel. ?? I cannot change hotels due to the conference.

Is there any restaurants for lunch you can recommend which is located close by. Basically, hubby will be working and I'm the lucky girl who will be out exploring with the girls (from other countries)...so if I could possibly have a little tip from you guys where to eat which is cheap and maybe fun like a good Italian or something yummy....!!

Thanks again, greatly appreciate your info.

EM.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

There are dozens of places to eat and shop. Check www.themagnificantmile.com for the immediate area around the hotel. You'll be in the center of the largest shopping district in the city. On Michigan Avenue, you'll find the big stores like Saks, Neiman Marcus, Burberry, H&M, Tiffany, Cartier, Gap, Polo and Chanel among others. Continue on to Oak Street for Prada, Hermes, Barney's and more boutiques

You dont' say when you'll be visiting, but if the weather is nice, the river cruise tours are only a 3 block walk from the I-con.

You can also walk to Millennium Park, Grant Park and the Art Institute. To reach the Museum Campus which houses the aquarium, planetarium and Field Museum (natural history) as well as the State Street Shopping District, you can walk or catch the Number 146 bus southbound across from your hotel.

The Museum Campus is about 3 Km/2 miles if you're up for the walk and State Street is about 1 Km.

You can try Chicago-style deep dish pizza at Gino's East, Giordano's, or Pizzeria Uno. All are only a few blocks from the IC. For more ideas, check www.metromix.com. You can search by cuisine, price or neighborhood.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,065 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

A fun spot for eats nearby - www.heavenonseven.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

Thanks with all those shops around me, i'll probably have no time for lunch !!

Great info and I'll check out the restaurant webpages mentioned. Handy to have webpages to search through.

Thanks again

EM.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

Is it well situated???? IT's our favorite HOTEL!!!! Thank whoever put you up there... you can in a perfect location!!!!!!!

Cheap and Yummy... go to the Food Court at the Watertower (It's not a typical food court)... The Grand Lux Cafe is almost directly across the street... Starbucks is in your lobby....

Good Italian... ask the concereige for a recommendation in Little Italy... they'll send ya to a great place.

Make sure you shop Liconln Park, Wicker Park... Oak Street.... go to Cafe Be-Ba-Raba's in Lincoln Park (it's tapas).

Make reservations for the chocolate buffet in the Penninsula.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
501 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

And bring a swimsuit since this hotel has the best indoor pool ever.

[quote] Upon walking into the pool area at The InterContinental Chicago, a visitor will be immediately drawn to elaborate chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, blue mosaics lining the walls, a terra-cotta fountain of Neptune in the corner, and last but not least, the junior Olympic-size pool in the center of the room.

Revered as an architectural marvel when it was built in 1929 because it was situated above the first floor of the building, the pool at The InterContinental Chicago is still known as one of the most beautiful pools in the country today.

"It is something people visiting the hotel ask to see," says Pam Gilbert, director of marketing for The InterContinental Chicago. "When they see it, it takes their breath away. They feel it is extravagant and representative of the pre-stock market crash period."

The historic pool was constructed as part of the exclusive Medinah Athletic Club and has played host to exhibitions by synchronized swimming darling Esther Williams and as a training pool for Olympic medalist Johnny Weissmuller.[/quote]

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

You'll love the IC - it's a great hotel. Bandara is a nice restaurant right near the hotel. It's in the second story of a building on the same side of Michigan Ave as the hotel. Request a table by the window and you'll get to watch all the action on the street below.

7. Re: intercontinental Hotel - ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 06:27