We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi after Second City performance?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi after Second City performance?

I will be visiting Chicago with my teenage daughter, and we'd like to go see Second City. How easy/safe will it be to get back to the Palmer House hotel after a weekday evening show?

Can we use the subway for this? will there be taxis outside the theater?

I'm not at all familiar with Chicago but I enjoy city travel and would appreciate practical advice. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Second City
Second City
1,391 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

Wells St., on which the theater entrance is, is very busy at night - Old Town, that section of the city, is a center for night life, or busy activity, and I think you'll find many taxi's passing by . . . simply waive your arm to stop one.

Mentioned in this post
Wells
Wells
Maine
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

You could also walk two blocks east on North Ave to Clark Street and catch either a Number 36 bus southbound. The bus will stop at State and Monroe, across from the Palmer House.

Mentioned in this post
Clark Street
Clark Street
32 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

Or you can walk two blocks-ish west to the Sedgwick station on the brown line and take that to the loop. If you're comfortable with city travel, I think you'll feel safe. My husband and I almost always take the el back after Second City if we're staying in the loop, because it's so easy. Have never felt remotely unsafe.

When the brown line's been shut down (after a late show) or we just didn't feel like the train, we've gotten cabs with no difficulty also. You might want to walk a block or so on Wells (south) or North Ave to get out of the immediate crowd if lots of people are trying to get cabs.

Mentioned in this post
Second City
Second City
1,391 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Wells
Wells
Maine
St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

We had no difficulty getting a taxi after the late Second City show. In fact, there seemed to be more taxis than regular cars in that area. On thing on the subway - you must check that day to make sure that the subway will be open when you want to ride it. We went out to a play at Steppenwolf on the subway on a Friday and came out and discovered that the line had closed. We probably missed signs and there was an employee telling us a bus was coming but it was raining very hard and we just flagged down a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Second City
Second City
1,391 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

It sounds like you fell victim to track closings for rail construction. The Red Line (probably what you were aiming to get on) runs 24 hours a day. However, on various weekends, and often with little advance notice, they re-route them to the elevated tracks. They will run buses on those routes as a replacement.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

It was the Red Line that was closed. While I prefer to take public transportation, it really wasn't tough to flag down a taxi.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

Thank you everyone, this is a big help. We're looking forward to our trip. But first we have to win the Stanley Cup!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

So, now that my hometown has snagged the Cup again, does this mean you're not coming? ;-)

9. Re: Taxi after Second City performance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 08:19