We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago - August Trip

New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago - August Trip

Hi Guys,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Chicago in August. We'll be staying at Sofitel Water Tower and will only have one day, Saturday, to do sight seeing. What sights would you recommend? Also, please help us create an itinerary for that day. Obviously, we won't be able to do everything in one day, so I really want to hit the most important and interesting things.

Also, I need help with getting directions from the hotel to West Dundee Road, Buffalo Grove, Illinois. I've tried http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com, but it gives me an error.

I would really appreciate your help.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago - August Trip

Take a look at www.metromix.co to see what's going on here during your visit.

On the RTA trip planner, you need to put in the specific address on Dundee Road. To get to BG, you'll need to take a Metra train - http://metrarail.com/Sched/ncs/ncs.shtml

From there, you'll take a cab or a Pace bus. www.pacebus.com

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago - August Trip

BTW - "the most important and interesting things" are different for everyone. What are your particular interests?

New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago - August Trip

Hi Dave,

I actually tried plugging in the street number - it didn't work; but I will check that other website. It's probably a small town with one train station, right?

As to sight seeing - slight correction; we'll have some time on Saturday and all Sunday.

Well, I just want to see the most interesting places - from the perspective of a first-time visitor to Chicago.

I've been recommended to visit Millennium Park. I know Sears Tower is another attraction [is it worth paying to go on top, by the way?]. I just want to get the most from our trip.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Millennium Park
Millennium Park
20,498 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago - August Trip

Dave's point is that there are way too many things for even a first-time visitor there for a week to cover them all, so you have to pick and choose based on what you guys are interested in. There is no "first-time visitor" perspective, since everyone has different interests.

On the left side of this page are links to TripAdvisor pages that give you ideas of what to do in Chicago. The things listed there all fit into the most important and interesting lists for a lot of people. You should get lots of ideas if you check those links out.

Sears Tower? My husband and I love going up to observation decks in tall buildings, so we've done it a couple times. We much prefer going up in the Hancock Building to the Sears Tower, but everyone has different preferences. Some people simply don't care about seeing the city from high up, so for them it's not worth paying to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
chicago
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago - August Trip

You could also start by looking at previous posts on this forum.

Don't forget, this is your vacation. And no one here is your travel agent.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago - August Trip

"I actually tried plugging in the street number - it didn't work; but I will check that other website. It's probably a small town with one train station, right?"

BG is actually a fairly large community. The Wheeling stop on the same Metra line might be closer to your Dundee Road address.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago - August Trip

Nice choice of hotel. The area around there is great for walking, eating and shopping, so plan to do that for at least part of one day. The Hancock lounge is certainly a top tourist choice - try to get there an hour before sunset.

Are you from NYC? And you sound like you are under 30 - true? If so, you may want to skip the museums and try Oak Street or North Avenue Beach for an afternoon. Bobby's Bike Hike is a fun way to see lot of the lakefront. Millennium Park is definitely worth seeing, along with Buckingham Fountain. If you like blues or jazz, check the music listings at www.chicagoreader.com

Mentioned in this post
Oak Street
Oak Street
62 Reviews
Chicago, IL
North Avenue Beach
North Avenue Beach
213 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Bobby's Bike Hike Chicago
Bobby's Bike Hike Chicago
2,902 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Millennium Park
Millennium Park
20,498 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Buckingham Fountain
Buckingham Fountain
2,845 Reviews
Chicago, IL
New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago - August Trip

Hi, pgo!

Yes, I am from NYC and I am under 30; although, I am reluctantly closing in :)

Is Navy Pier worth visiting?

Mentioned in this post
Navy Pier
Navy Pier
12,071 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago - August Trip

I have been to Chicago 3 times, most recently in May. I am under 30 as well, so this is my perspective of the best things to do

Navy Pier - Really cool place, nice view, they may have fireworks while you are there as well

Millenium Park - Have to see 'the bean' and the cool fountains, but relatively a quick walkthrough

John Hancock Bldg - Been to both this and the Sears tower, and this is way better in my opinion. You can sit in the lounge and have a drink right by the glass. No admission to get up, but you do have to order a drink

Division St - Great stree of bars, lots of fun at night

Wrigleyville - Short ride on the L Train, but a fun area, especially if there is a Cubs game

Aquarium is amazing, if you have enough time, prob about 2 hours to see everthing

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Navy Pier
Navy Pier
12,071 Reviews
Chicago, IL
New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews