We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
us
Level Contributor
541 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

Hi all,

My hubbie and i are coming into the city via Amtrak on Saturday (nite). We want to go to the taste of Chicago - will be the first time..... what can we expect - as far as "tastes" - also, do they see beer, wine,etc at the event? When i ask about the "tastes", i understand they sell smaller portions - didn't know if it was like mini's slices of pizza, etc...we aren't big eaters... so it sounds like it will be right up our alley.

Thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

I love the Taste! They do sell alcholic beverages. Some restaurants have good sized portions and some are just ok. Some places have a whole turkey leg, other portions are just ok. Most restaurants offer a "taste" sized portion of certain items that is much smaller and only a few tickets.

I would bring your own bottled water with you in order to save on $$. I also like to bring wipes and something to sit on like a blanket so that I don't have to always eat & walk.

When buying tickets, the cash lines moves a lot faster than the credit card line. There are quite a few ticket booths, so I would only buy 4-5 strips initially ($12 per strip this year) and see how fast you run out.

Visit the link to the City of Chicago (Mayor's office of Special Events) web site that lists the restaurants that will be participating this year.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalEntityHomeAction.do?entityName=Special+Events&entityNameEnumValue=38

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

"Taste" dishes are just smaller portions. But you cannot get "Taste" portions of any the dishes that that particular vendor serves. Each vendor usually only offers one "Taste" option.

If you go to the City of Chicago's website mentioned above, there is an interactive map of the Taste of Chicago, showing where each vendor will be situated, as well as the entertainment (you click the "Menu" area for the last). If you hold the cursor over a booth, information will show about the vendor at that booth. If you click on that vendor's booth, a window will pop open and tell you the dishes that the vendor will be offering, both the regular and the "Taste" portion.

In my experience, the best dishes offered are rarely "Taste" portions. Be prepared to spend at least $4-$6 for the each of the regular dishes.

Yes, they have beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages available at the Taste of Chicago. You'll definitely have to have valid photo ID (can't remember if they ask for more than 1, though). But be aware that you cannot just order whatever type of beer, wine, etc. you wish. Only certain brands are available.

us
Level Contributor
541 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

Thanks so much - exactly the info i was looking for!

Just got some news - i had not realized that the Cubs play the Sox. That's my next topic - tickets!

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

If possible... You should stop into Dominicks.. You can get strips of 12 tickets for $6.. they will be $8 at the Taste..

Also, I believe if you go on the Taste of Chicago website they will tell you how many tickets each vendor charges.. and for what

That way you will have a good idea.. but most smaller portions are 3 or 4

make sure you have comfy shoes on...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

I'm also attending the Taste for the first time, but I'm going with friends who have been. I found this website helpful. www.tasteofchicago.us

Have fun.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

Last year one of the Chicago Tribune writers went and sampled a whole bunch of stuff at the Taste, I don't know if they'll do it again but it's worth taking a look at the Tribune online and doing a search for the Taste of Chicago and see if they have any helpful hints, they always seem to have some sort of guide around the time of the Taste.

The 3rd of July is the busiest day because of the fireworks, you may find it best to avoid eating at the Taste on the 3rd if you don't enjoy crowds.

It looks like you have to have a Fresh Values card to buy the tickets at Dominick's (it's their saver discount card that you have to apply for) and if I remember correctly they stopped selling them a few days before the Taste but I'm not 100% sure of that.

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

Dominicks is selling them only until June 26th at the discounted rate of $6 a strip instead of the $8 at the Taste...

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

If you aren't big eaters, plan on buying just one or two items at a booth and splitting them. You might want to bring a kitchen knife for this. Also, a blanket or plastic tablecloth and a bottle of water for each are worth their weight. A backpack works well for these items, and it leave your hands free to carry the food.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

holamexico, if Amtrak is scheduled to come into Chicago on Saturday night, I wouldn't make any definite plans because there are often (lengthy) delays in arrival.

IMHO, Saturday night will probably have one of the biggest crowds of the entire Taste week because the headliner that evening is Stevie Wonder (5:30 p.m.).

So, if you aren't going to be there really, really early in the day to stake out your space by the Petrillo Bandshell, I wouldn't recommend carrying any extra baggage such as blankets, etc., through that crowd.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taste of Chicago first timer, here.....

You mentioned above tickets for the Sox Cubs game for Sunday. There are tickets available on stubhub.com for $80 and up plus taxes & fees. I'm sure there's other ticket brokers you can check out, and there may be some people selling tickets down there, but you always run the risk of getting tickets that aren't legitamite. I've bought from stubhub.com & know they are legit. I'm pretty confident that you won't find tickets any cheaper, as this is a pretty hot series in Chicago & tickets sell out fast.