We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Help

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Apartment Help

I am moving from Austin, TX to Chicago in a few weeks, and I don't know the city very well at all. My wife and I are looking for a one or two bedroom apartment in a city neighborhood that is at least relatively safe and has nightlife. I would like to find an area where she can walk home at night without me having to worry excessively. Some of my friends have suggested Wrigleyville and Lake View. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment Help

Welcome to chicago.

Andersonville is a great neighborhood. Much further north than the others you mentioned, but there are still great deals to be had and the neighborhood is terrific. Wicker Park, Bucktown and pretty popular, very trendy, over-priced in my opinion.

I think what your friends have suggested is a fine idea for folks who are new to the city. Then you can take the time to check out other 'hoods and judge for yourself what you think is safe and affordable.

But check out Andersonville.

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment Help

This is a common topic. If you can provide more details about price range, work location, pets, cars, kids, etc...you will get better advice.

The Chicago reader has, by far, the most complete listing of rentals in town. www.chicagoreader.com

When you get an idea of price range, you need to come to town and walk around. A neighborhood might strike you, and if you are lucky, you may stumble across an otherwise unadvertised rental. The good ones rent out without advertising beyond a sign in the window.

Check www.cityinns.com for hotels in the northside neighborhoods that are popular. You can't get a feel for the area if you are staying in the loop.

Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park and Lakeview are great but expensive, even by Austin standards. Parking is non-existant.

Other possibililties: Rogers Park, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Square, Wicker Park, Roscoe Village.

Good Luck. I'm Jealous.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment Help

I'd have to agree with the above recommendations you were given (except for Rodgers Park) as good spots to move to if your not familiar with the city and have the priorities that you've outlined.

Not much to add other than I wanted to give you the link to a site where you can actually monitor where crimes are occurring in the city and track which neighborhood looks best to you as far as safety & true crime stats.

http://12.17.79.6/

There are various types of searches that you can do. If you find a particular apartment you are interested in, you can put that address into the search bar and find out what crimes have occurred recently near that address.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,983 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment Help

Tschuette, I live in east Lakeview (Belmont Harbor), which is a great area - lots of little restaurants and boutique stores, close to Wrigley Field, the el, express buses to the Magnificient Mile/Loop/Museum Campus, close to the running path along the lake, etc.

Are you coming to Chicago to look at apartments? I really, really, really suggest that you stay at Best Western Hawthorne Terrace when here. You will be in one of the recommended neighborhoods so you can see what your friends are talking about. Plus it's pretty central to the other areas in which I think you'd be interested.

Check the Chicago Reader online for prices of apts. in the different areas. Also, the Apartment People have an office here in Lakeview that has many places that they drive you to to inspect. But the best suggestion is just walking around in the neighborhoods to see the places (each will show what's available and the price range for them). One recommendation: getting an apartment with utilities included is a wise thing in Chicago.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment Help

thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it. i'm looking forward to the move! chicago seems like a great city -- though it has less ideal weather when compared to austin!

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment Help

While winter in Chicago is bad, summer in Austin is worse. You can always put on another coat, but there is a limit to what you can take off!