We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

Indiana
7 posts
Save Topic
Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

Spur of the moment trip to the City...rare weekend that the wife and I have off but need to do it on a resonable budget (no $200 hotels this trip)so we can enjoy great dinners.

What Suburb would be good to find nice hotels in a more reasonable last minute booking but good access to D'town? Not planning on taking the car downtown. Need to hit Sam's to pick-up some Rum that I can only find their and want to take the Architectural tour via boat and open to other ideas

Bobby's Bike Hike Chicago
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Absolutely Chicago Segway Tours
Segway Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Bus Chicago
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

Take a look at the hotels around Midway airport. At least you'll be in the City, have the ability to take the Orange line in and still be able to park for cheap (or free at the hotel) than compared to downtown rates.

Also there's a Sams club on Cicero in Cicero which is about 4 miles north of Midway airport.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

You are referring to Sam's Wines & Liquors? If so, there is also one in Downer's Grove off I-355 @ IL 56 (Butterfield Road).

There are many hotels in that area (search Downer's Grove and probably Lombard). You can take the Metra train into city from Downer's Grove, Lisle, or Lombard.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

Whoops!

Mistake on my part! I'll admit it, I read Sams interally as Sams club and not Sams wine and spirits.

Downers would be a good choice as Metra has a stop in their downtown.

http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/bn/main.shtml

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml…

Hilton Garden Inn, Evanston.... check it out... not too far from a CTA purple line. Check the CTA trip planner and see if times fit for you... There is a Hotel Orrington in Evanston, but have not stayed there yet. Might be a little more money.

There are really alot of options, this is by no means, the only one. Lots of cities and towns in the burbs that are nice, nice hotels/motels, and then you have to use the METRA. Takes more planning, and more time, but it is doable.

Indiana
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

I did look out by Midway but most of the hotels I was edin were booked. I will take a look at the Hilton in Evanston..looks like a good place and good access to the city...we are very comfortable using public transportation so we might also look into Downers Grove area as well..thanks everyone for the help

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

The thing to keep in mind is that Metra (which is what you would take from Downers Grove) runs a very limited schedule on the weekends. Usually, there is only one train every other hour.

There is a Holiday Inn near the Cumberland stop on the Blue Line. Last time I checked rates on the Holiday Inn website, it was around $90/night. It seems like a pretty good deal. Free parking and within walking distance to frequent transit downtown.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

But lets' remember he needs to also hit a Sams wine and spirits too, so that might limit areas unless Binneys beverages carries what he's looking for. Then options open up greatly.

Here's the link for Binney's..

http://www.binnys.com/

Indiana
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

I went ahead and booked the Hilton Suites in Oak Brooke..got a great deal for Sat night...the metra comes back at 10;30ish and 12;30ish so that is more than feasable...I took the bus one cold New Years Eve from the Knicker Bocker (sp?) to the Swiss...that was sobering..LOL...thanks for all the help...most times we prefer the city but we have a big vacation in Early August so trying to watch the $$ a little.

One last question..Saturday dinner, anything in the Oak Brooke area or surrounding area? Or should we just plan on havinig dinner in the city...$200 budget for dinner

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,337 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

"One last question..Saturday dinner, anything in the Oak Brooke area or surrounding area? Or should we just plan on havinig dinner in the city...$200 budget for dinner"

oakbrookcenter.com/html/mallattractions.asp

yorktowncenter.com/diningentertainment.aspx

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Best Suburban area to get hotel close to D'town

I don't think anyone has suggested Oak Park, yet - and that's a very nice place, and very convenient to Downtown, too.

-----------------

Some of my photos of Chicago: http://tinyurl.com/6zqzcz