We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Topic
Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

Hi again, my son and a friend are flying up to for the concert possibly staying in Downers Grove. Someone said there is an express train? into the city. Are you familiar with this train and how late it runs? Also if they are commuting back to the burbs what would be the latest "safe" time. These are two teens who just graduated HS. Any other words of wisdom. This is their first time up without parents. Thanks as always for your help.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

This train line runs from DG to/from downtown - http://metrarail.com/Sched/bn/bn.shtml

It's a safe train line.

The express portions are during the weekday rush hours. Refer to the schedule.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

Note that the last "safe" time is the last train west. It's probably a bit after midnight. After that, there won't be another train until maybe 6-8 a.m.

They've got to make that last train. Talk to them about a Plan B (taxi, hotel, other) if they happen to miss the train.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

Downers Grove is a very safe community. Maybe someone else could comment on Chicago’s Union Station late at night. There is only one express train inbound and outbound from/to Downers Grove Main Street on Saturdays and none on Sundays. The non-express trains take about one hour each way. Cliff Rock gives some excellent advice about a Plan B.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

I just noticed that there is indeed special service for Lollapalooza on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe line:

metrarail.com/Special_Promotions/lolla2008.h…

Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

Thanks for all the advice. I actually lived in DG for several years and know that area is fine. My concern was the train out of the city late at night. I will definitly come up with a "plan B" and give them some numbers for cab companies. I don't think a hotel will let them book since they are under 21. I will emphasize that they need to get to the station by 10:30. I think the last band starts at 8pm so that should work out well.

6. Re: Lalapalooza-Downers Grove Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 17:15