We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

NEW BRIGHTON
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

My wife and 6yr old daughter and I want to visit Chicago after a few days at Wisconsin Dells. We're coming in Thursday and will leave Saturday morning to return home to Pittsburgh.

We're looking for something safe and "economical" so we're not going to stay in the city. What are some safe areas that will still provide as access (via train if necessary) into town. We definitely want to go to the aquarium and to the Navy Pier. Other than that - we're very flexible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We're capable of doing some serious walking - so if there is a good central place to park for the day - we'd like to know where that is, as well. Thanks

Madison/Chicago
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

If you want to save money, that is a good reason to stay outside of downtown, however, don't do it for safety reasons. Downtown Chicago is a very safe area to walk around in.

If you want to stay outside of downtown, the Area around Rosemont, or Cumblerland Blue line stops have a number of hotels.

NEW BRIGHTON
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

No, its definitely about the money. I know we can't afford to stay in town and still have the freedom to do whatever we want to do. My safety concern was more around, which area in the suburbs might be less than desirable. Thanks

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

If you can get a weekend rate for Thursday and Friday nights, the hoteld around the airport typically have good deals. The Renaissance Suites would be my top recommendation; it's an upscale hotel and very close to the Blue Line into the city.

If you need something less expensive, look into hotels in Oak Park or Skokie. Both have easy access to El trains - Oak Park would be the closer of the two.

Metra trains are another option - they go to quite a few suburbs.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

Check rates at the Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn or Doubletree in Skokie. Free parking & breakfast + indoor pool at the HI. The Doubletree & CI have free parking & a pool.

All are close to the CTA yellow line train station. www.transitchicago.com for public transit information.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

I'd recommend moving a little further North to the Northbrook/Glenview/Deerfield area. You could go to the Chicago Botanic Gardens (chicagobotanic.org), which - despite the name - are in the suburb of Glencoe and are quite beautiful. I see a 3* on the deep discount/non-refundable service Hotwire in Northbrook for 8/14-16 for $59 (the price you see may differ slightly.) when I search for 2 adults and 1 child for these dates. Would appear to me to be the Radisson Northbrook.

You could drive to the Glenview train station about 3 miles South and then take the Metra into town. I'd also recommend Lincoln Park Zoo (a great zoo, not to mention free) instead of Navy Pier.

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

The Westin in Lombard is a brand new hotel. It is very nice and amazingly beautiful. It is about 15- 20 minutes east of Chicago by train. I dont know when you are traveling but I got weekend rates of $117 each nite for Aug.22/23/24. If you stay here you can get on the Metra train in Lombard and take that to Chicago. On weekends the fares are $5 for each adult and kids under 12 yrs old ride free. This $5 covers unlimited use of the train for the whole weekend. The Westin is also surrounded by restaurants and plenty of shopping. Check out Metra.com and sign up for the free summer fun kit and you will receive coupons for different activities to do in Chicago. You will also receive the train schedule and the free trolley schedule that runs in Chicago. We ordered ours and we received it in 3 days after ordering. Definitely go to the Shedd. Navy Pier is a must if you have never been. On Weds. and Sat. nites they have a free fireworks show They do have a Build a Bear workshop that my daughters loved to go to when they were that age. The Lincoln Park Zoo is nice and free. Try to get to North Ave Beach or Oak St. Beach for a couple of hours one day. Good Luck

7. Re: Outlying Chicago Hotels - (14-15 August)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 23:20