We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

We are in Chicago for a convention the beginning of September for 6 nights and don't want to caught without reservations. I have compiled a list of restaurants but we are looking for entrees mostly falling under $30. No Chinese or Japanese - picky eaters. Some of these are part of the Lettuce Entertain You Group. There will probably be 15-20 for dinner at night. We are staying at the Embassy Suites on Columbus. Your thoughts on the following or any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Gibson's, Hugo's Frog, Topo Gigio, Chicago Chop House, Carnivale, N9ne, Piccolo Sogno, Brasserie Jo, Scoozi, Wildfire, Rosebud, Carmine's, The Gage, La Scarola, C-House.

I'm having a hard time narrowing things down so any help would be appreciated.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

Most of the LEYE restaurants can accomodate larger groups and sometimes even have separate rooms, I like Wildfire and Brasserie Jo, haven't been to Scoozi recently. We used to do holiday dinners at Wildfire and they handled large groups well, they have a group menu that I think you can do with 6 or more people. If you are in town on a Monday or Wednesday, you might look into Marche which has a prix fixe menu for $28.95, one appetizer, one entree and one dessert, anything on the menu. I like the food there as well as I like Brasserie Jo's.

La Scarola is very small, I think they can seat about 30, and may not be used to delivering to a larger group if you could even get a reservation for that many people. I like Rosebud and Carmine's and Italian would be good for a large group. Portions are huge here, family style might be a good option for a larger group esp. if you can't take it home with you.

Gibson's and Hugo's, most of the steaks and seafood items are over $30, you don't want to go to a steakhouse and order chicken. Portions are HUGE.

Carnivale has good food but a really loud atmosphere, I was hoarse from yelling the one time I ate there, very conversationally challenged.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

We had a private party at Scoozi a few years ago, and it was wonderful. Our party was bigger than yours, but if they'll give you the private room for your party, I'd imagine you'll like it. We had a private menu as mentioned above, but either way, Italian is an easy way to appease most picky eaters.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

It's not on your list, but I'd like to through out another option - Maggiano's (although, it looks like there is one about an hour away from you, so maybe you're looking for something different).

They are a very good Italian restaurant, have a large dining room & have a wonderful family style dinner that would make it easy to get a taste of a lot (and maybe have less leftovers!). There is one just about a half mile away from your hotel at 516 North Clark St. You can pretty much only get in with a reservation, but if you call now, you may be able to get in (or if you can't, then that option is ruled out!).

chicago
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

Piccolo Sogno has a fabulous outdoor garden area. Food is wonderful.

C-House is a good choice. C-View is the rooftop lounge and it is worth a visit, too.

Carnivale is an excellent choice for groups.

Everyone loves Wildfire.

If it were me, I would skip N9ne and La Scarola, but that's just my opinion.

I love North Pond http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/

usa
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

If there's anyway your budget can swing it, or maybe your group can go to lunch one day (cheaper), I highly recommend Fogo de Chao! No doubt it will easily run $50 per person,(that' the flat price..beverages, tax, tip extra) but it was such a fun experience and the food wonderful! It's a Brazilian Steakhouse of sorts. I do not suggest this place though for vegitarians. In order to truly get your money's worth, you need folks with a hearty appetite, esp for beef! But they do have an outstanding salad bar with not your usual items. But again, it is definitely a splurge!

6. Re: Your thoughts on restaurants for a group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 12:22