We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue line at night-- safe?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Blue line at night-- safe?

I am thinking of making a reservation at the Marriott O'Hare (right at the Cumberland Blue line stop) for November. I will be seeing a show downtown, then was thinking I'd take take the Blue line out to the hotel, because I will have an early flight out of O'Hare the next morning. Is the Blue line safe for that route at night, possibly for a single female? There may be more of us, but I just want to make sure I'm safe either way. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Madison/Chicago
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

In general yes, the blue line runs 24/7, and there will be many people on the train during the early/late evening. I would still be aware of your souroundings and stand/sit near other people while waiting and on the train.

But yes, it is safe

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

I agree with the above poster. I wouldn't hesitate taking it. Just be sure to use common sense and if you're a little uncertain, sit in the first car where the "conductor" is stationed.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

CTA eliminated conductors a few years ago. Most likely, there will be a few homeless people "riding the rails" late at night. That section of the route is fairly safe. If you are concerned, just ride in the front car.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

That's what I figured. I'm familiar with the El and the public transportation in Chicago, just haven't done it in a while so I wanted to double-check. Thanks for the info!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

When I said "conductor" I mean the person driving the train. That's why I put it in quotes. It's not quite a true conductor but it's still an actual CTA employee in the train.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

The Blue Line generally runs through one of the safer parts of the city. Cumberland area is low crime as are most of the areas it traverses. If you do decide to explore any intermediate locations on it, please avoid Logan Square at night. The area around the Jefferson Park station can also be a bit dicey even though it is in a neighborhood which is safe as a whole.

usa
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

We just spent a weekend commuting from Ohare area into downtown on blue line. One thing to note is that they are doing construction work on the blue line. We got on at Ohare, went 3-4 stops, had to get off at Jefferson Park, everyone walked to rows of buses, then they bused us to Irving Park where we got back on the train and went the rest of the way downtown. This did add quite a bit of time as the trains didn't seem to run as frequently, so if you missed one, you stood there longer than usual. We traveled back to Ohare around 10:30pm (granted there were several in our group) but there always seemed to be a lot of people and because of all the bussing, etc, it seemed there were quite a few employees at each stop. I don't think you'll have much trouble at Cumberland. Just have a watchful eye. But these stops will affect you if you are going on the weekend. We didn't even attempt getting on the red line (I think parts of it are under construction also). We just got off the blue line as close to our destination as we could and taxied from there. Enjoy your weekend!

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

The blue line in this area of town is extremely safe - mostly at this time you will see people going to work at O'Hare or travelers on red-eye flights. However, as the above poster mentioned, there is currently a major renovation. Unfortunately, one stop before you get to Cumberland at Rosemont, you will have to exit the train and wait for a shuttle bus to the next stop.

If it were me, personally, I would just pay $30 for a taxi, relax and get back to the hotel in 20 minutes with zero hassle. The train line with the construction will be a long boring ride. But, it will only cost $2 so it's up to you and how you feel about your time!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

Thanks for all the help. How long will it actually take to get out to O'Hare from downtown (on the El)? I'm not sure if I'm staying out there anymore, but I will still need to get to O'Hare in the morning, and I need to know how much time to allow. I'm even contemplating just hopping on Amtrak and flying out of Milwaukee-- if it takes about the same time to get to O'Hare on the blue line as it does taking Amtrak north, it might just be less hassle.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue line at night-- safe?

Allow 45-60 minutes on the blue line from downtown to ORD.