We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Chicago on a budget!

toronto
Level Contributor
401 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Chicago on a budget!

All right, well it looks like we are going to have to lower our standards a bit.

I posted a couple weeks ago but now our criteria has changed. We cannot go over $120/night for a hotel.

Can anyone reccomend a hotel (oct. 16-20) that could fit into our budget that is in a safe area of Chicago? It doesn't have to be right downtown or anything, as long as it is convenient to the subway line so that we can get downtown, and like I said, in a safe neighbourhood. (Doesn't have to be a super nice neighbourhood or anything, just safe enough to walk back to the hotel from the subway at night).

I guess another question would be as we're looking for hotels on a budget are there any particularly bad neighbourhoods in Chicago that we should avoid?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
toronto
Level Contributor
401 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

We just found a motel 6 in Villa Park (at Roosevelt Rd/State St). Dirt cheap. Any reservations about this location? It appears to be right at Roosevelt station.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

Downtown will not work for you. There are several conventions here during your dates. Hotwire's cheapest rate is $209/night.

Check rates at - www.midwayhotelcenter.com

From there, it's an easy commute downtown on the CTA orange line train.

"Particularly bad neighborhoods" won't have hotels.

Staying near O'Hare might work with your budget. Use hotels.com or similar site and check properties in Rosemont, IL. From there, it's an easy commute downtown on the CTA blue line train.

Mentioned in this post
Rosemont
Rosemont
Illinois
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

Villa Park is a bit of cummute to/from downtown Chicago. You'll need to take this train line - http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_w/cnw_w.shtml

The Villa Park train station is at 1st & Ardmore.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
toronto
Level Contributor
401 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

It appears google maps was mapping the motel 6 wrong, I didn't realize it was so far out of the city.

We've now found a Super 8 Motel at Jarvis subway station, in Rogers Park area I think? Any thoughts on that area? How long of a subway ride would that be to downtown?

Thanks for those other suggestions, I'll check them out now!

toronto
Level Contributor
401 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

Oh! Another one we just found-Chinatown hotel in Chinatown/Cermark area. Supposedly for ~$100/night. Thoughts on that area?

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown Hotel
Chinatown Hotel
205 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

I'd skip the Chinatown SRO. …tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d488493…

The Super 8 on Sheridan is a slightly better bet. But it's still a Super 8.

…tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d268665…

You are near the Loyola University campus. It's about a 30-45 minute commute downtown.

chicago
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

As far as the Super 8 goes, I spend a lot of time in that area of Rogers Park. Around the Jarvis el is kind of fun and funky. There are a couple theatres, a few interesting restaurants...that being said, Rogers Park is a truly diverse neighborhood. It has a reputation for crime, these days not totally deserved, but I wouldn't call it the safest neighborhood in Chicago. While I'd be totally comfortable during the day and early evening, I'd be a little nervous walking alone to the hotel after 11:00 p.m. from the el. It's not very far, but still. The 151 Sheridan bus would let you off right in front of your hotel and that runs all the way from downtown, which is a safer option. But it's slow. So it's up to you. If you're an intrepid city traveller and used to urban neighborhoods, it might be a good fit. If not, I'd really look at some of the Rosemont hotels, as an earlier poster suggested. They just opened an Aloft which I bet is in your price range (it's a less expensive W hotel). Rosemont is great because it's right near the blue line el, which you can take downtown with no schedule constraints (unlike Metra). Rosemont's a much tamer area. And I think the commute time is pretty much the same, tho some of the stops aren't as convenient...nothing right by Mag Mile, for example. But you might feel safer there.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Rosemont
Rosemont
Illinois
8. Re: Help! Chicago on a budget!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 08:20