We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Starved Rock?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Starved Rock?

We are staying in Lombard and wish to go to Starved Rock for a day trip for a day out in the countryside.

Can someone tell me how do we get there by train or bus as we don't want to hire a car.

Thanks

Karen

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Starved Rock?

Rent a car.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
837 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Starved Rock?

Hi Karenbowie,

Starved Rock is a wonderful place to visit. It is just hard to get to without a car.

There are a couple options to limit your driving in Chicago. Both start in down town Chicago.

1. Take the Metra Rock Island line to Joliet. metrarail.com/Sched/ri/ri.shtml#STATION This has the best schedules and is only $5.65 per person each way. Hire a car thru Enterprise. Call them ahead of time and they will pick up up at the station. www.enterprise.com This will be a 50 mile drive.

2. Take the bus to LaSalle-Peru https:/…

This will cost $50.00 per person each way. Hire your car thru Enterprise. Call them ahead of time and they will pick up up at the station. This will be a 13 mile drive.

You may also consider spending the night at Starved Rock. You have came all this way, why rush? http://www.starvedrocklodge.com/

Also, here is a link to our pictures of Starved Rock: …google.com/rwdwTA/Illinois2007StarvedRock#

I hope you enjoy your visit to the United States!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Starved Rock?

rwdw - Great pictures! Starved Rock is so beautiful, especially in the fall.

Karen, if it were me, I would rent a car. There are rental car agencies in Lombard. It is about 80 miles and takes 1.5 hours. Most of the drive is on expressway.

If this is not an option, you may want to look into finding some countryside closer to Chicago. The Morton Arboretum is a short distance from Lombard, perhaps a ten minute drive - maybe the shuttle at your hotel could take you? I like the Arboretum, but it is not comparable to the rugged beauty of Starved Rock.

Another option is the Chicago Botanic Garden. You would have to go to downtown Chicago and then get a train to Glencoe - this could take a while from Lombard.

Have a good trip!

4. Re: Getting to Starved Rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:21