We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

I will be in Chicago on election day/night and wondering if anyone had any details about the event planned at Grant Park for election night

this is also my first trip to Chicago

wondering where the best area would be to "camp out" and await election results

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Grant Park
Grant Park
795 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

From yesterday's Chicago Tribune:

"Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said logistical details such as whether attendees will need to register online or get a ticket in advance are still being worked out and will be announced. The Nov. 4 event is expected to take place on the south end of the park in an area known as Hutchinson Field."

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
chicago
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

See metromix.com for a list of places that are having election night parties/specials.

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

thanks for the info. I am coming from California, this is my first trip to Chicago and I am really looking foward to it. I am on the waiting list for tickets. If I don't get tickets I will still be looking forward to election night in Chicago!

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
CHICAGO
Level Contributor
581 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

I have heard on a couple spots that are the tickets are gone and the list is closed...

check out craigslist.. you might get lucky

chicago
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

Obama fans flock to Web for 'sold-out' tickets

October 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM |

With tickets gone for the Election Night rally in Chicago's Grant Park for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama -- the campaign refused to say how many there are or how quickly they ran out -- anxious supporters turned today to other sources online, where their chances seemed slimmer still.

What hope that existed came from the official application form at www.democrats.org/electionnight, which now redirects to a waiting list. When it opened Tuesday (before tickets ran out minutes later) it asked for personal information for one applicant, but also allowed them to invite one guest.

Today, everyone wanted to be that guest.

The Web site Google Trends recorded a heavy volume of searches for "Obama rally tickets" at 8 p.m. Tuesday and an even bigger spike at 7 a.m. today - making it the 38th most popular search term this morning on Google, behind "Rashid Khalidi" and "Tracy Morgan," but still more urgent than "vivisection" and "Halloween facts."

Pleas for spare tickets hit their most poignant and heaviest volume on Craigslist.com, where heart-struck Obama supporters--including volunteers and donors--sought extra tickets from as far away as Sweden, Hawaii, Texas and Toronto.

They included a college student who planned to vote for the first time and offered $80 a ticket, another person offering $100 a ticket and a third who volunteered $200. A woman in Rogers Park offered a massage and free help with Apple computers.

Among those seeking tickets were a family of four bringing 9- and 11-year-children to Chicago, an out-of-state Obama volunteer with a plane ticket in hand and Chicago hotel room booked, and a couple from "Northern Canada" who said they had donated and made phone calls for the campaign, had plane tickets to Chicago and no chance at getting a ticket to Grant Park. No luck.

It was a similar scene on eBay, where a handful of people put out requests for tickets and also got no response. Obama memorabilia has become a sub-genre at the online auction site, with backstage passes for his Democratic National Convention speech going for $50, tickets from his Springfield, Ill., presidential announcement going for $10, and a less-than-savory offer to sell the Web site domain name "Obama-BidenTicket.com" to the highest bidder. So far, bids for the Web address were up to $2500.

But tickets to Grant Park were not to be had.

Only one person seemed to be offering any, on Craigslist. Another on the site said it wouldn't work because you needed a photo ID to accompany the ticket.

The Obama campaign did not respond to repeated attempts to clarify where things stood.

Mayor Richard Daley said today he hopes the ticket plan for Obama's election night rally will help control the crowd size, but he still expects more people to show up than can get in to the celebration.

Daley predicted Tuesday that the overflow crowd for next week's rally in Grant Park could reach one million people. The city said last week that the south end of Grant Park can hold 70,000 people.

-- James Janega and Dan Mihalopoulos, Chicago Tribune

Mentioned in this post
Grant Park
Grant Park
795 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Texas
Texas
United States
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Canada
Canada
North America
Baltimore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

I'll be there too...got my room about 6 blocks from Grant Park and will be partying like it's 1999! I'll try to get a miracle ticket, but I think it's just as good to get as near as I can and add to the massive hysteria that ushers in a better time ahead. If I see ya there, I'll buy you a beer. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Grant Park
Grant Park
795 Reviews
Chicago, IL
7. Re: Obama-Nov 4th-Grant Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 10:17